+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grilled Salmon

Post Likes

Cool Grilled Salmon

An easy way to prepare salmon is to grill it. I take a salmon fillet, put it on a piece of foil on the grill, put about two tablespoons of butter (two slices of butter) on top of it and cover the entire fillet with minced onion. Grill on medium heat with the cover closed for 10 - 15 minutes. Enjoy!

Post Likes
    Sounds good. Substitute an unfinished raw cedar shake for the tin foil and man o man, is that good. Salt and pepper too. Don't have the coals or burners right under the wood though, use indirect heat. Cedar planked Salmon, yum

Post Likes
    Another great way is to poach it.

Put fillets or steaks in a small pot with white wine just covering, fresh dill and a little old bay spice.

Heat till around 170 degrees, wine will be barely bubbling. Keep lid ajar if you are using one.

DO NOT BOIL!!!!!

Length of cooking time will depend on thickness of fish - you want it to just begin flaking. Start checking at around 15 minutes or so.

Very healthy and tasty.

Post Likes
    I recently did cedar plank salmon and it was a BIG hit.
    Marinated two 3 lb fillets for the morning in 1 cup o' vermouth, lemon juice and zest from two lemons,1/2 cup of minced fresh dill,1 tablespoon of kosher salt and one teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper.
    Soaked the planks in water for a couple of hours prior to grilling.
    Grilled on indirect/high - skin side down - for 30 to 40 minutes.
    "...refresh my memory. When did I start caring about this stuff...?"

Post Likes
    Last year I took a trip on a sail boat. I got to be friendly with this couple from Washington State. One night the menu was salmon. The waitor asked me how I wanted my salmon cooked.

Me, being a back east yankee didn't know any other way but cooked. My new friends said that I should try it cooked med. to med rare. "That's the way they do it in Seattle!!!!"

Around here when you ask for fish in a restuarant that puppy is COOOOKed.

But I ordered my salmon as instructed by the Washingtonians and it was surburb.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    Around here when you ask for fish in a restuarant that puppy is COOOOKed.

But I ordered my salmon as instructed by the Washingtonians and it was surburb.
    ...you mean superb???

Actually, salmon should be slightly undercooked. What I mean is undercooked on the grill, removed and it will continue to cook before being served. Once ready to eat it is perfectly done. Shouldn't be more than 135'F.
    You'll know if it's overcooked if it feels like cheese curds between the teeth. Kind of squeaky when chewed.

Post Likes
    Nobody mentioned what you are starting with, but I assume that you are starting with either fresh wild King Salmon or flash frozen wild king salmon.

When I first tried Salmon it was the farmed junk. I didn't care for it. Then I tried fresh, wild, King Salmon. Wonderful!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettaknight View Post
    ...you mean superb???

Actually, salmon should be slightly undercooked. What I mean is undercooked on the grill, removed and it will continue to cook before being served. Once ready to eat it is perfectly done. Shouldn't be more than 135'F.
    You'll know if it's overcooked if it feels like cheese curds between the teeth. Kind of squeaky when chewed.

Oh yeah "superb." I was thing country cooking when I wrote "suburb."

Post Likes
    When I buy Salmon at Targets...... The filets have the skin on. I have always removed it prior to cooking. Now I have one on a cedar board, and it says to cook it skin side down.

How do you folks who know what they're doing cook it? Skin? No skin?
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    When I buy Salmon at Targets...... The filets have the skin on. I have always removed it prior to cooking. Now I have one on a cedar board, and it says to cook it skin side down.

When grilling I ALWAYS go with "skin on."

90% of the tie I will do cedar plank salmon. Skin side down.

If I grill, I'll do flesh side down on a HOT grill for about 7 minutes or until the filet will pull away from the grill nice and easily.
    Then I'll flip it over onto the skin side for about another 3 or 4 minutes. One done, I use a fish spatula to remove the filet from the grill leaving the skin behind. Just slip the spatula between the meat and skin.
    I'll let it sit for a few minutes to complete the cooking process.

This is for a filet about 3 lbs. Any bigger then I'll use the 70/30 method.
    70% of the time flesh side down then finish it off skin side down for the last 30% of the time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post

Always skin-on when grilling. If for no other reason, it helps hold it together as you remove it from the grill.

Post Likes

Thumbs up Great Variations

What great variations! I am going to try each and every one.

I was introduced to another version of the cedar plank recipe. My friend is a master-chef at Disney World. He gave it to me.

Simply marinate the fillet in pure maple syrup for 30 minutes, place on a cedar plank and put on the grill and paint with the syrup. Have way through, paint it again with the syrup. The syrup caramelizes and gives you a rich smoky flavor not sweet.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    What great variations! I am going to try each and every one.

I was introduced to another version of the cedar plank recipe. My friend is a master-chef at Disney World. He gave it to me.

Simply marinate the fillet in pure maple syrup for 30 minutes, place on a cedar plank and put on the grill and paint with the syrup. Have way through, paint it again with the syrup. The syrup caramelizes and gives you a rich smoky flavor not sweet.
    Maple syrup !!!!!!!!! Hmmmmmm....... Let me go tap my trees.

(I guess this is a "must-do" recipe.)

Post Likes
    Maple syrup??? OH,YEAH!!!
    Another variation I use is to cut the maple syrup with bourbon. Marinate the filets in the maple/bourbon overnight. Grill... or better yet smoke the filets over applewood! Reduce the marinate in a small saucepan and drizzle over the filets and serve at room temperature.

Post Likes

Bar-b-que salmon

Y'all should try bar-b-qued salmon. Cook it on the grill just like you have indicated in the prior post, but use some bar-b-que sauce. It best if you spread it thin and get it to carmalize.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by prostock View Post
    Y'all should try bar-b-qued salmon. Cook it on the grill just like you have indicated in the prior post, but use some bar-b-que sauce. It best if you spread it thin and get it to carmalize.
    ...store bought???

Dude, we're afficianados here...

At least in our minds we are...

Post Likes
    Well, by george.

I just bought myself 4 chunkies of the atlantic pink stuff for no particular reason other than it was on sale last week. I am so glad I looked here first before I decided to wing-it.

Some of these recipes seem to come straight out of "Flavouresque Writing". My taste buds are singing as I type
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2¢.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gruntly View Post
    Well, by george.

I just bought myself 4 chunkies of the atlantic pink stuff for no particular reason other than it was on sale last week. I am so glad I looked here first before I decided to wing-it.

Some of these recipes seem to come straight out of "Flavouresque Writing". My taste buds are singing as I type
    Just remember...don't overcook it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettaknight View Post
    Maple syrup??? OH,YEAH!!!
    Another variation I use is to cut the maple syrup with bourbon. Marinate the filets in the maple/bourbon overnight. Grill... or better yet smoke the filets over applewood! Reduce the marinate in a small saucepan and drizzle over the filets and serve at room temperature.
    Hey!! Bourbon always works! Thanks for the suggestion!

Post Likes
    Got some salmon on Friday night. I did the maple syrup trick. Ummmm....... good. Everyone liked it.

About the middle of March the maple season starts around here. You don't see the buckets hanging from the trees very often anymore because must gatherers use a network of plastic tubes to collect the sap instead. But in flat areas you can still see this old way of taping.

It takes approx. 40 gal. of sap to make 1 gal of syrup.

Try maple syrup on boiled carrots w/ a little butter. Also great on vanilla ice cream. Tips from Vermont.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in