Thread: Grilled Salmon

Hybrid View

Cool Grilled Salmon

An easy way to prepare salmon is to grill it. I take a salmon fillet, put it on a piece of foil on the grill, put about two tablespoons of butter (two slices of butter) on top of it and cover the entire fillet with minced onion. Grill on medium heat with the cover closed for 10 - 15 minutes. Enjoy!

Sounds good. Substitute an unfinished raw cedar shake for the tin foil and man o man, is that good. Salt and pepper too. Don't have the coals or burners right under the wood though, use indirect heat. Cedar planked Salmon, yum

Another great way is to poach it.

Put fillets or steaks in a small pot with white wine just covering, fresh dill and a little old bay spice.

Heat till around 170 degrees, wine will be barely bubbling. Keep lid ajar if you are using one.

DO NOT BOIL!!!!!

Length of cooking time will depend on thickness of fish - you want it to just begin flaking. Start checking at around 15 minutes or so.

Very healthy and tasty.

I recently did cedar plank salmon and it was a BIG hit.
    Marinated two 3 lb fillets for the morning in 1 cup o' vermouth, lemon juice and zest from two lemons,1/2 cup of minced fresh dill,1 tablespoon of kosher salt and one teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper.
    Soaked the planks in water for a couple of hours prior to grilling.
    Grilled on indirect/high - skin side down - for 30 to 40 minutes.
    "...refresh my memory. When did I start caring about this stuff...?"

Last year I took a trip on a sail boat. I got to be friendly with this couple from Washington State. One night the menu was salmon. The waitor asked me how I wanted my salmon cooked.

Me, being a back east yankee didn't know any other way but cooked. My new friends said that I should try it cooked med. to med rare. "That's the way they do it in Seattle!!!!"

Around here when you ask for fish in a restuarant that puppy is COOOOKed.

But I ordered my salmon as instructed by the Washingtonians and it was surburb.

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    Around here when you ask for fish in a restuarant that puppy is COOOOKed.

But I ordered my salmon as instructed by the Washingtonians and it was surburb.
    ...you mean superb???

Actually, salmon should be slightly undercooked. What I mean is undercooked on the grill, removed and it will continue to cook before being served. Once ready to eat it is perfectly done. Shouldn't be more than 135'F.
    You'll know if it's overcooked if it feels like cheese curds between the teeth. Kind of squeaky when chewed.
    "...refresh my memory. When did I start caring about this stuff...?"

Nobody mentioned what you are starting with, but I assume that you are starting with either fresh wild King Salmon or flash frozen wild king salmon.

When I first tried Salmon it was the farmed junk. I didn't care for it. Then I tried fresh, wild, King Salmon. Wonderful!