Munchkin Boilers

Any of you guys have the opportunity to work on Munchkin boilers? Had a bit of a nightmare today with a few of them at one of the schools we service. Very "awkward", to put it nicely, to service. School board is considering installing more of them at another site. After today I was considering discouraging more of them. Thought I'd see if it was just me or if anybody else shared my opinion

i'm not impressed

I like the Lochinvar Knight better, same basic design but better. Easier to service and more efficient.

far better choice, the Knight

Have you seen one jump off the floor when it goes to light yet?

The biggest thing is install them right. So many bad installs on them 10' of 1"gas line up to the valve CO2% 8-9 they run a long time. Yearly maintenance a must.
    Aint Notin Sweeter, Then A Brand New Heater!!!!!!!!!!

The Munchkin is engineered on price and poorly designed. Too many nuisance failures with text book installations. Kind of like the Land Rover I have...I will do the customer a favor and spend the extra 500.00 and install an Ultra.

I've had three service calls for munchkins, all three the plastic impeller on the draft inducer was in about a thousand pieces

I have serviced quite a few of these. Only problems were from installers giong outside specs. The install guidelines should be reguarded like a bible. Only service problem not related to install was having to adjust firing rate, which you have to use a combustion analyzer, and set up burner Properly. Ilike them, and they are one of the few condensing boilers approved for potable water use.

Ever hear of a problem with using the munchkins with a heat exchanging water heater, where the heating loop fails and adds glycol to the domestic water?

yes I have had exchanger failures, though not specificaly with munchkins. That's also why we use propalene glychol almost exclusivly. (it's the main ingredent in creme soda).

Quote Originally Posted by dsfitzgerald7 View Post
    I've had three service calls for munchkins, all three the plastic impeller on the draft inducer was in about a thousand pieces
    At least the new ones are stainless steel
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.