CVHE second stage case

Trane gurus,
    I have an old CVHE I am getting ready to take down for refrigerant leak repairs. I have thought to put a pressure tap in the blankoff cover on the second stage case, the 4 bolt plate that is at the same height as the third stage operator tang, just to the left on the second stage case. Just thought about this for troubleshooting in the future and for no other particular reason. Any thoughts or suggestions?

r404a

Christ already got the Big Johson Blue on that York Suction L

Can't take the credit for that one 32, the facilities guys have had that one painted for YEARS. Beautiful mechanical room, that is an OLD Turbomodulator (early 80's) and is about to be changed out soon. Anyone want to buy old Turbo parts?

r404a

The second stagee blank off plate is from the original design. They had 3 sets of inlet guide vanes, however it made no difference in performance, so they removed them from the design, installed the plate and never redid the casting.

Just drill and tap it, then put in a valve or whatever you want. It could be of use when adjusting the guidevanes. JMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by r404a View Post
    Trane gurus,
    I have an old CVHE I am getting ready to take down for refrigerant leak repairs. I have thought to put a pressure tap in the blankoff cover on the second stage case, the 4 bolt plate that is at the same height as the third stage operator tang, just to the left on the second stage case. Just thought about this for troubleshooting in the future and for no other particular reason. Any thoughts or suggestions?

r404a
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

I can't think of any reason to put anything there? Maybe a sight-glass?

I can't really see much benefit to adding anything there. Just seems like one more place for a leak. jmho

No reason to put one there. As someone stated, just another place to leak!
    "I'm from Texas, what country are you from?"

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking along the same lines as Abs, but not only for setting up vanes, but as a troubleshooting method say if 1st stage shut?
    Granted, head would be low, but interstage would be real low.

r404a

Quote Originally Posted by CVHF1280 View Post
    I can't think of any reason to put anything there? Maybe a sight-glass?
    Welcome to the forum CVHF1280....we'll accept you, even though you only have one economizer ventline...we know you were born that way.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by r404a View Post
    Welcome to the forum CVHF1280....we'll accept you, even though you only have one economizer ventline...we know you were born that way.LOL
    Thank you for accepting me the way I am