Hmm GOOD OPEN SHOP JOB BUT OFFERED A UNION POSITION. NOT SURE WHAT TO DO.

So I've been offered a union hvac tech job. Currently I work for an open shop that treats me pretty well. I'm just looking for opinions on what some think they would do in this situation.
    IF I STAY: $19hr, full med and dental, matching 401k, and a profit share bonus twice a year, usually around 6-7grand one check in cash and one check goes into my 401k.
    IF I GO UNION: $19.50hr for res./ $23hr for com ($36.50 in 2 years when my apprenticeship is over) full med, dental and vision, pension plan.

If I go union I'll be making around 70,000 a year not including my o.t.
    So which job would you take? I'm happy at my current job and I didn't go looking for this one my old boss came to me and offered it. ( shop WASNT union when I worked there last time)
    But I don't think I'll ever make $35hr at my current job.
    The 36.50 is also what I make after my dues and everything else is paid.

Opinions please!!

Don't even look back!

I'm not necessarily pro union but in your instance I'd Go union without thinking twice as long as it's guaranteed 40hrs+ all year every year.

I work on a very similar shop as yours. But if I was offered something like that, I'd take it. You have to look out for your own.

We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us.

You'd be a fool not to.

If you are serious in this trade, ask about all the free classes you will have access to in the union... Med gas cert, various welding certs, CAD, back flow, etc...

Jump, now.

plus the union contract gets redone every 3 years with bumps in that hourly along with bennies...and that hourly match to every hour you work into that pension
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

I thought I worked for the best shop ever. New trucks, good pay, good benefits, good owners who came from the field and let us be good techs. Well, one owner retired and let his son in law take over, and the other owner started to step back and let his son take over. In a few short months, the company was showing the signs of being run into the ground, all in the name of corporate organization for growth. 4 new vice presidents, 2 new departments, but no increase in the sales staff. I heard about a union opportunity and jumped ship and I'm not looking back. I am especially excited about a PENSION opportunity, and all the classes that are offered at the union hall.

These union opportunities don't come along very often, so I would say take it. If you hate it, you can always go back to an open shop, just don't burn your bridges.

The last I heard about the shop I left, they fired the whole accounting department who had been there for 20+ years, and they are on credit hold at many the parts houses around town...

i'm not a Labor Day flag toting walker like the A fitter guys are told to do,but did anybody ever hear of a union guy *****in' about the pay,beenies,new trucks and the new construction opps doing start-ups on union jobs....love waiting on the outside elevator lifts to get up to the 45 floor.8 hours on a construction site is fun.seriously the equipment you will work on and repair is awesome.if you can't live on a journeymans rate with summer OT banging something is wrong at your end.then that pension ...sight unseen then you get the monthly payout statement WOW
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY