Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another Philly Special

A freshly carved roast beef or roast pork sandwich from Nick's Bar at 22nd and Snyder washed down with a mug of your favorite tapped beer.

OMG I miss Philly!

Hello, Oh yeah! I was going to mention in the other post. But didn't want to get off topic. Ater there right before New Years. Watche dbuddies Mummers practice and went on down to Nicks and Yup ate one down and a few ice cold beverages. Can't beat it. Don't forget about all the good places in the terminal market too.

John

Then you have to stop in to Termini's to pickup cannolli's, and grab some soft pretzels on the ride home. OMG I am getting hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    A freshly carved roast beef or roast pork sandwich from Nick's Bar at 22nd and Snyder washed down with a mug of your favorite tapped beer.

OMG I miss Philly!
    22nd and Jackson (next real street S of Snyder). Unless they moved in the last couple years.

Don't confuse Nick's Bar with the Nick's Roast Beef on Cottman in the Northeast. Nick's in S Philly is much better.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    22nd and Jackson (next real street S of Snyder). Unless they moved in the last couple years.

Don't confuse Nick's Bar with the Nick's Roast Beef on Cottman in the Northeast. Nick's in S Philly is much better.
    My apologies, I have been living in the south for 20 years, my memory slipped, a senior moment. You could tell you are there at lunch time because the block had cars parked three deep around the block.

My apologies, I have been living in the south for 20 years, my memory slipped, a senior moment. You could tell you are there at lunch time because the block had cars parked three deep around the block.
    If you have been living in the South for 20 years, you musn't know about Primo Hoagies on 15th and Ritner. Best hoagies ever. They use Cascia's bread - good hard Italian rolls. They've opened up a Primo's in Wildwood, NJ, and Ocean City, NJ, as well as others in the area. I stop at either location when I go down the shore - a hoagie and a bottle of wine on the beach - now that's livin'.

I was born and raised in South Philly. Left at 26 years-old.

I found Pit Beef in Baltimore to be better than cheese steaks.

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    If you have been living in the South for 20 years, you musn't know about Primo Hoagies on 15th and Ritner. Best hoagies ever. They use Cascia's bread - good hard Italian rolls. They've opened up a Primo's in Wildwood, NJ, and Ocean City, NJ, as well as others in the area. I stop at either location when I go down the shore - a hoagie and a bottle of wine on the beach - now that's livin'.

I was born and raised in South Philly. Left at 26 years-old.

I found Pit Beef in Baltimore to be better than cheese steaks.

Take care.
    I was born and raised in Frankford. I went to Central High and made some great friends from all over Philly. I attended Drexel University and made even more friends from areas neighboring Philly (Main Line, Upper Darby). So I spent a lot of time trying different places to eat.

I technically left Philly for the Amish/Mennonite corner of Montgomery County 26 years ago and moved to Florida 20 years ago.

No I haven't heard of Primo's. The best hoagie on my list was Greenman's Deli off of Bustleton and Harbison. It was a 2 pound sandwich. The best Cheese-steak was on the corner of 10th and Oregon the last house on the street had a pass-through window in the side of it. The best ice cream was Goodnoe's. The best Cannoli's was Termini's. The best soup was on south Broad street, just outside the gates of the Navy Yard. I wonder how many of those places are still there.
    Last edited by retired1; 02-21-2008 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Wasn't done typing- hit wrong key.

I was born and raised in Frankford. I went to Central High and made some great friends from all over Philly. I attended Drexel University and made even more friends from areas neighboring Philly (Main Line, Upper Darby). So I spent a lot of time trying different places to eat.

I technically left Philly for the Amish/Mennonite corner of Montgomery County 26 years ago and moved to Florida 20 years ago.

No I haven't heard of Primo's. The best hoagie on my list was Greenman's Deli off of Bustleton and Harbison. It was a 2 pound sandwich. The best Cheese-steak was on the corner of 10th and Oregon the last house on the street had a pass-through window in the side of it. The best ice cream was Goodnoe's. The best Cannoli's was Termini's. The best soup was on south Broad street, just outside the gates of the Navy Yard. I wonder how many of those places are still there.
    I went to St Joe's Prep for high school and Temple University for my mechanical engnerring degree.

I didn't get around Northeast Philly much.

10th and Oregon is still around. They had excellent roast pork/roast beef sandwiches. They were shut down for a little while. I think they were Mafia involved. Termini's is excellent, so is Cosmi's on 13th and Oregon. Not sure about the soup place that you are referring to. I miss Pop's Water Ice near Broad and Oregon. They also carried soft pretzels from Federal Pretzel Company.

I'm hungry.

Hi Gary,
    First, I have to ask...was "engnerring" a typo or a pun? As a pun (engin-erring) it is hilarious. As a typo it is an all time classic!

My brother went to Temple (Business ).

There's another Philly Trait. Build prestigious colleges in the worst areas. U of P, Drexel, Temple, La Salle all are great schools with nice campuses, but go 3 blocks off campus and you best be wearing your Kevlar.

Hmmm, next time up I will have to check Cosmi's out. Mafia? In south philly?? Surely you jest. LOL

Mmmmm 2 soft pretzels with spicy brown mustard & a coke = portable lunch on the fly

Now I am hungry also...

Rob

Hi Gary,
    First, I have to ask...was "engnerring" a typo or a pun? As a pun (engin-erring) it is hilarious. As a typo it is an all time classic!

My brother went to Temple (Business ).

There's another Philly Trait. Build prestigious colleges in the worst areas. U of P, Drexel, Temple, La Salle all are great schools with nice campuses, but go 3 blocks off campus and you best be wearing your Kevlar.

Hmmm, next time up I will have to check Cosmi's out. Mafia? In south philly?? Surely you jest. LOL

Mmmmm 2 soft pretzels with spicy brown mustard & a coke = portable lunch on the fly

Now I am hungry also...

Rob
    Rob:

I am cold-busted. That was indeed a typo, and I am a careful typist, LOL.

You are correct about the location of prestigious schools in bad areas (must be to get tax breaks) but its not just colleges. St Joseph's prep is in "enemy territory" at 17th & Girard. I attended my 25th year high school reunion a few months ago at the Prep and the neighborhood is still the same war zone. I used to carry a large butcher's knife in my duffel back on the Broad Street subway back in the day. Those were the days the "wolf packs" roamed the subways looking for prey.

Next time you are in Philly or the Jersey Shore, you must find Primo's and get a classic Italian Hoagie. You will ad this sandwich to your most-missed list.

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Rob:

I used to carry a large butcher's knife in my duffel back on the Broad Street subway back in the day. Those were the days the "wolf packs" roamed the subways looking for prey.
    Gary_G -

I went to Temple (BSME '94) and lived a couple of blocks off campus - 15th & Jefferson one year and Diamond & Carlisle another. When I had night classes I packed heat for sure! Never had anything happen, luck I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by flyrfan View Post
    Gary_G -

I went to Temple (BSME '94) and lived a couple of blocks off campus - 15th & Jefferson one year and Diamond & Carlisle another. When I had night classes I packed heat for sure! Never had anything happen, luck I guess!
    I am a few years older than you. 1986 graduate. BS in M.E.T. The M.E. program wasn't accredited in '86 so I went M.E.T. I loved Temple. I got a lot out of it. It was a much more down-to-earth school than Johns Hopkins in Baltimore where I (almost) have my Masters degree. Hopkins is full of attitude.

By the time I started Temple in '82, I had saved up enough money from Parris Island boot camp to buy a 550cc Kawasaki. I road most of the year from South Philly to North Philly straight up Broad Street. They let me park in the lot next to the Engineering Building. I had no parking sticker but things were much different back then. The only time I took the subway to Temple was on really bad weather days. I always had a rain suit and a can of Fix-A-Flat in my duffel bag (no Butcher's knife when I road the bike).

I miss those days, the good 'ole days.

Take care.

I will make you both feel better. I am a member of Drexel's class of '79. I lived in a frat house at 34th and Spring Garden with the first headquarters for MOVE right around the corner on 33rd street.

I remember the wolf packs on the subway. That's why we traveled in packs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast