Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Hmm Rheem Heat Pump (new)- Buzzing Sound

    Hello,
    I got some good answers here before, so I thought I'd come back with my newest problem

    I have a new Rheem Electric Heat Pump and Furnace (5 ton, 13 seer), it's only about 1 month old. The temperature outside this morning reached somewhere in the 30 degree range. I heard the heat pump through my window and it sounded like it was laboring for a while. After a about 10-15 minutes it sounded normal again. Then all of a sudden the thing started clanging and made a loud sound like a buzzer going off-- and then the fan stopped. I noticed the furnace was still running because cool air was coming inside.

    I'm guessing it was going into defrost mode, but is this loud buzzing sound normal? I have a year warranty on the labor, but when the tech comes out I want to be educated. If he tells me this is "normal" should I believe it or question it?

    Thanks in advance.
    Socal

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    34,594
    Yea, sounds like a defrost. See if the outdoor fan has stopped during this time. Also the fat refrigerant pipe that is insulated will be cold, not hot as in heating mode. Pumps get pretty noisy going in & out of defrost.

  3. #3
    Thanks BaldLoony. That was fast

    Boy that is annoying and it sure sounded "sick."

    I never remember my Lennox Heat pump doing that.

    Socal

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lehighton, Pa.
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Yea, sounds like a defrost. See if the outdoor fan has stopped during this time. Also the fat refrigerant pipe that is insulated will be cold, not hot as in heating mode. Pumps get pretty noisy going in & out of defrost.

    This brings up a related question. When in defrost mode, is the outside fan supposed to be on while the compressor is running?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Naples, Fl
    Posts
    889
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepgrady View Post
    This brings up a related question. When in defrost mode, is the outside fan supposed to be on while the compressor is running?
    No.

  6. #6
    Ok, well let me ask you this then.... should the furnace still be running (blowing cold air through the vents) while the heat pump is off and defrosting???

    FYI I don't have electric heat strips for supplemental heat. I can have them field installed, which I am considering. I would also like to ask if you all recommend the heat strips. If so, there are various wattages available-- because we have such high electric bills, I would think we should get the highest rated strips, but then again-- I'm just guessing. Opinons please!!

    Thanks.
    SC
    Last edited by socalwinegirl; 01-19-2008 at 12:35 PM. Reason: add more info

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Naples, Fl
    Posts
    889
    Quote Originally Posted by socalwinegirl View Post
    Ok, well let me ask you this then.... should the furnace still be running (blowing cold air through the vents) while the heat pump is off and defrosting???

    FYI I don't have electric heat strips for supplemental heat. I can have them field installed, which I am considering. I would also like to ask if you all recommend the heat strips. If so, there are various wattages available-- because we have such high electric bills, I would think we should get the highest rated strips, but then again-- I'm just guessing. Opinons please!!

    Thanks.
    SC
    The indoor fan running is part of the defrost cycle. If you had heat strips they would be energized during the defrost cycle. Didn't I read you had replaced an existing heatpump? Did it have auxillary heat? Does the current unit keep you comfortable? Other than the different sounds coming from the outdoor unit does the system perform like the previous one?
    If heat strips are to be added an outdoor thermostat should be installed.

  8. #8
    Hi Adrian,
    We replaced a system that never really worked right. The air handler was only about 2 years old (with heat strips that were never connected). The heat pump and air handler were mismatched and we finally decided to do it right and get a MATCHED system. I'm not sure if it's keeping me comfortable. It was installed about a month ago- but it needed some rewiring to get it working right. We've only been using it about 2 weeks. I don't like when the heat pump goes off that I get a blast of cool air shot onto me. That's why I was considering the strips. The installer says he hates installing them and that it's a big pain in the butt, but if I want them then I will have them installed despite his great dislike of them!! I'm just not sure if they will make me "happy" and I certainly don't want to double my electric bill. I just don't really want to have to think about this so much. I'd like a system that works properly and keeps me warm when it's cold outside.
    Thanks again.
    Socal

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    4,808
    Loonie give me a call or an e-mail on this. I'll give you a heads up on what the factory will say is a non issue.
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    89
    Get the original installer back out there, and start asking questions

  11. #11
    mrfixit,
    If the buzzing is normal then what am I supposed to be asking?
    Loonie says the noises sound normal to him. Are you saying the buzzing is NOT normal. I am concerned that the installer will say it's "normal" but I need to know if it is or isn't!!!! The installing company doesn't get paid by Rheem for these service calls-- Rheem will only pay for replacement parts, so what is the installer's motivation for doing "free work?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event