+ Reply to Thread

Thread: compressor blowout help

Post Likes

compressor blowout help

I was working on ptac islandaire unit. Came in with not nowing anthing so but on bench to do check on it. Plug it in fired right up let run for couple minutes and such off. try turn in back on i hear the thermal disk over load go off. cycle unit it keep triping go get thermator and shell reading 145F so think it probaly bad ill take it out check operation turn unit back on stays at 145f up to about 155f i see smoke go to shut off push off buttom and reach to unplug . BOOM Hollywas that scarry. not sure why at that temp this happen. i think major restriction or something else mechanily wrong any thoughts.

Post Likes
    That is why you never run the unit without the cover on.

Hope your OK

The heat was from the windings shorting out inside.

Post Likes
    Yep....she gone.... How old is the unit?

Post Likes
    I always recommend using a blow off valve with the waste gate pressure set to 300 psig

Post Likes
    Do realize that talking about Hvac 410 a compressor were would you put waist gate. There not even gauge connection on ptac you haft punch tool pull the gas and put on in youraelf

Post Likes
    Lol

Post Likes
    I'm guessing that means no I'm surprised haven't had mor comments on this

Post Likes
    Every compressor self cools with the suction line gas. You said bench test ... something tells me the problem wasn't in the compressor.
    Economy - Quality - Speed <---- pick two

Post Likes
    I noticed a couple of things, either the charge was low or when you tested the compressor, you had the doors open and sucking in all the how air. Or both.

Post Likes
    I did not have time to do all the test do to blow out on ptac the high pressure switch is normaly so when shut off on bench test that what thought was wrong until kick on again an then off I could here the click of thermal overload. Amp draw was 27 witch was not to high for start up but trip out to soon to get run amps so removed limit and went boom there was something major wrong but not sure if was compressor or not hate replace compressor to find out have stuck vale or restriction some were. Still trying to get all info from island aire to make fusion but they pain to deal with slow

Post Likes
    Don't remove the thermal overload when you don't have gauges connected to see what is happening in the refrigerant circuit.

Post Likes
    May be a dumb question. But are you certain you were connected to the correct voltage?
    ie: 240 volt on a 110 volt motor wrecks havoc and smoke.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in