Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I finally hired a home efficiency company who said that my upstairs needs a 2.7 ton AC unit (based on their Manual J calc).

Find a home efficiency company who will show you how to make your attic and the ductwork in the attic match your 2 ton a/c, not one that tells you to get bigger equipment to counter the heat gain from that attic.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

No need for either the Carrier or Trane high end systems I recommended as long as you intend to use your Nest. Nest is better suited to plain Jane systems not the var speed furnaces that were quoted. I know you don't like this advice but it's the truth. The Nest is more for live style features for the homeowner, not functional operational capability of your upper end systems.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by bpollard View Post
    I guess Google should have chatted with you before dropping 3 billion on Nest.
    A company "drops" money on a product, not necessarily because it's a good product, but because they believe it will turn a profit. Either now or later. Google is banking more on the "later", when more and more of our daily lives (and consumerism habits) are monitored and influenced by them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12