tek mate leak detector

I purchased a used tek mate leak detector from inficon and when I turned it on it beeps all the time but there is no leak so I put a new sensor on it that I got when I purchased this leak detector and nothing changed. I called Inficon and the tech asked to turn it on and let her listen to it, then they say the problem is the silver sensor from 2012 are defective, to buy a new black sensor and it will be fine. Anyone here had this problem? Is it worth it to spend $50 on a sensor for this leak detector?

Thanks.
    I am an apprentice and I do appreciate advice.

She may be right, but before you spend the money on another sensor pull the instrument apart to see if there is any oil on the board. If there is you can clean it with a "contact cleaner".
    Fan will suck oil vapour in to the guts.
    A good leak detector for the money. Good luck.

It is very clean inside, I will order the sensor then. thank You.
    I am an apprentice and I do appreciate advice.

Two different sensors doing the same thing. My guess is so would a third. I am a fan of the Tek Mate. It used to be my main and now its my perennial back up. I'd return the one you bought if possible since it was DOA. Any reputable seller should refund you.

Quote Originally Posted by EZMD View Post
    I purchased a used tek mate leak detector from inficon and when I turned it on it beeps all the time but there is no leak so I put a new sensor on it that I got when I purchased this leak detector and nothing changed. I called Inficon and the tech asked to turn it on and let her listen to it, then they say the problem is the silver sensor from 2012 are defective, to buy a new black sensor and it will be fine. Anyone here had this problem? Is it worth it to spend $50 on a sensor for this leak detector?

Thanks.
    I have one as well. When first turned ON it will scream solid till it calibrates till then beep slowly. If and when it detects a leak the beep will become more rapid and/or scream solid.

The new black case sensors are more sensitive than the silver cased ones.
    Bill

I have had one for a long time and never had any problems with either the old of new sensors. Sounds like you got a bad one. They work great on R 22 but are useless for r410a.
    -Marty

It's supposed to beep. That means it's on.

i use one and it has been good so far...... not sure about where you are they are on sale here 144 and change i think
    Do it once. Do it correct.

I purchased one last week after someone stole a jug of R-22 that was full and an almost empty jug of 410 along with my Fieldpiece IR leak detector that I paid an arm and a leg for. I think I paid less than 150 also. It works great on 22, and also found 2 leaks on 410 systems. The sensor was in a blue wrapper. I dont remember if it was silver or black.
    If you can't do it right.....Don't do it!!

If it has not been used in a while sometimes it takes 20 minutes for so of running before it will stop screaming. Also try changing the batteries