Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Move to union?

Those are questioned for someone like 2sac. I was deemed a Jm by the Big Red H when I had not quite 4 years total experience. I tried to find work in Florida, they said I was white-ticketed. different Locals, different jargon. The 597 didn't take to well to me inquiring about work in Chicago. They seemed to rather send a Pipefitter or Pipe Welder to HVAC/R dispatch than get me in there.

Your "card" stays with you as long as you work for a shop that is part of the local you belong to. If, for some reason you switch locals, then things are up in the air. When I first got into a union shop, I worked for a shop that employed 501 and 597 and I was brought in as 501. The next shop I went to employed 597 and 73 and I had to switch to 597. I had to jump thru some hoops when I switched but it wasn't all bad, just politics. If you leave a local and don't want to get black listed you buy a withdrawal card. When I was a Teamster, many many years ago, things weren't this complicated.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

So, I got a little more info. Apparently one shop has guys out of multiple locals. All the way from Peoria to east st.louis. But I would be out of Bloomington I guess? Is there such a thing as "service & maintenance scale"? Said they can get me straight in as a journeyman under a "service and maintenance" card. Scale is apparently $34/hr, $45 total package. That sounds low for journeyman scale under Pipefitters union. Or is there something I'm missing? I looked up the state pw chart for that county and it says Pipefitter is $39.65 pw.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CFESAmasterEGSR View Post
    So, I got a little more info. Apparently one shop has guys out of multiple locals. All the way from Peoria to east st.louis. But I would be out of Bloomington I guess? Is there such a thing as "service & maintenance scale"? Said they can get me straight in as a journeyman under a "service and maintenance" card. Scale is apparently $34/hr, $45 total package. That sounds low for journeyman scale under Pipefitters union. Or is there something I'm missing? I looked up the state pw chart for that county and it says Pipefitter is $39.65 pw.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think they're talking about the "National Service and Maintenance Agreement".

http://www.mcaa.org/msca/labor/UAMSCA.PDF

That's what scale the company I work for uses, it also apparently allows us to do service work in the jurisdiction of other locals and bid jobs all over.

The. NSMA allows for free movement, even if neighboring Local don't have free movement. It's not that you're getting paid less. I thought you were going into the 597. A job with the Big Red H in Chicago would've paid me $46/Hr, the same job in South Bend would've paid me just under $30/Hr.

Been on both sides. Check with the union you will be joining for details as to how you will be dispatched. Likely experience/time in the trade and a test component involved before you are given journeyman status.
    The union will NOT negotiate with you. Any negotiations on compensation will be with your prospective employer. If you are top notch and they need/want you bad enough you can write your own ticket.
    Chiller work is a notch above DX. It can be both mentally and physically challenging. Tolerance for error is much less due to service and down costs. Make sure you have a good mentor to learn and lean on in time of need. Best of luck to you!

Is anyone here doing Rack Refrigeration at Chiller Tech wages, i.e. A-Card?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345