Post Likes

Confused NYC RMO License - Now what?

Hi All,

I just passed my practical exam and I officially have a New York City Fire Department Refrigeration Machine Operator (RMO) License! My overall career goal is to become a stationary engineer which requires high pressure boiler time but I have no idea where to begin. If I work for a company that is a union contractor, would I be in one building for an amount of time long enough to earn high pressure boiler experience? I have about 3 years experience as a cleaner in the public schools, which are all low pressure.

So I am wondering what you all think my next step should be in order to become a stationary engineer and earn some high pressure time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Post Likes
    you have to get a hi pressure license then work on them to accumulate time.if you worked on large chillers for say TRANE doing service and repairs it means nothing to a refer license.you need to get into a building and on a stationary crew Local #94 runs most of the buildings in the city.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    you have to get a hi pressure license then work on them to accumulate time.if you worked on large chillers for say TRANE doing service and repairs it means nothing to a refer license.you need to get into a building and on a stationary crew Local #94 runs most of the buildings in the city.
    I believe you need the time before you can get the license, correct? I have looked at taking the exam but to qualify to sit you need time in working with high pressure systems. Would you say that getting into Local #94 is the best way to do that? Can I get into local #94 with just refer license, no high pressure license? Thanks so much for your response!

Post Likes
    maybe standing around with a lead engineer but actually working on them and taking a watch with them on line you need a license..FDNY walks in on your watch with no ticket you will be fined.they flip out when a service guy is caught without a burner/fire watch slip hvac guys have..contact 94 see what they say on getting in. the more licenses you have pertaining to a building the more oppurtunities you'll have
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    Jboyd12- congratulations on passing your exam. I tried to PM you but was unable to do so. I passed the written exam in 2012 and failed the practical 1x. I would like to study again to retake the practical exam. Do you have any study material to share/send? My email is toonz303@gmail.com thank you!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Hi jeremy, congratulations for he license. Im actually going to take the exam in 2 days. Can you or somebody who will read this comment try to give me some info about it?
    I took turner school and I learned a lot. I feel like I know a lot about the refrigeration systems compared to what I knew before. The only issue with me is my english is not at a perfect level and sometimes I can missunderstand the question and not get the exact point of what it wants from me.
    Anybody who will try to give me some info I'll appreciate

Post Likes
    YOU WORK IN THE SCHOOLS, TALK TO YOUR BOSS ABOUT WHAT TO DO NEXT. IF U ARE A GREAT WORKER HE WILL HELP U OUT. I WORK IN THE SCHOOLS MYSELF AND I WENT THRU LOT OF CRAP TO GET WHERE I AM TODAY. I'M GLAD I DID.

Post Likes
    BTW, IF U WANT TO PASS, U HAVE TO EAT,SLEEP AND **** RMO STUDY.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ant needs job View Post
    YOU WORK IN THE SCHOOLS, TALK TO YOUR BOSS ABOUT WHAT TO DO NEXT. IF U ARE A GREAT WORKER HE WILL HELP U OUT. I WORK IN THE SCHOOLS MYSELF AND I WENT THRU LOT OF CRAP TO GET WHERE I AM TODAY. I'M GLAD I DID.
    Quote Originally Posted by ant needs job View Post
    BTW, IF U WANT TO PASS, U HAVE TO EAT,SLEEP AND **** RMO STUDY.
    S T O P
    S H O U T I N G

Post Likes
    And I hope after a full year he's moved on