Confused NYC RMO License - Now what?

Hi All,

I just passed my practical exam and I officially have a New York City Fire Department Refrigeration Machine Operator (RMO) License! My overall career goal is to become a stationary engineer which requires high pressure boiler time but I have no idea where to begin. If I work for a company that is a union contractor, would I be in one building for an amount of time long enough to earn high pressure boiler experience? I have about 3 years experience as a cleaner in the public schools, which are all low pressure.

So I am wondering what you all think my next step should be in order to become a stationary engineer and earn some high pressure time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Jeremy

you have to get a hi pressure license then work on them to accumulate time.if you worked on large chillers for say TRANE doing service and repairs it means nothing to a refer license.you need to get into a building and on a stationary crew Local #94 runs most of the buildings in the city.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    you have to get a hi pressure license then work on them to accumulate time.if you worked on large chillers for say TRANE doing service and repairs it means nothing to a refer license.you need to get into a building and on a stationary crew Local #94 runs most of the buildings in the city.
    I believe you need the time before you can get the license, correct? I have looked at taking the exam but to qualify to sit you need time in working with high pressure systems. Would you say that getting into Local #94 is the best way to do that? Can I get into local #94 with just refer license, no high pressure license? Thanks so much for your response!

maybe standing around with a lead engineer but actually working on them and taking a watch with them on line you need a license..FDNY walks in on your watch with no ticket you will be fined.they flip out when a service guy is caught without a burner/fire watch slip hvac guys have..contact 94 see what they say on getting in. the more licenses you have pertaining to a building the more oppurtunities you'll have
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Jboyd12- congratulations on passing your exam. I tried to PM you but was unable to do so. I passed the written exam in 2012 and failed the practical 1x. I would like to study again to retake the practical exam. Do you have any study material to share/send? My email is toonz303@gmail.com thank you!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk