Talking in tounges
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Talking in tounges

My fiance recently started attending a church that does this. I think its a load of BS. What about yall??

If it is not a recognized language, it's BS. AND if there is no one present to interpret the language, it is improper and against Scripture. NOW, from what I can tell from Scripture, tongues is a "sign" gift and no longer a necessity because the reason for the gift of tongues was to quickly get the Gospel to those who did not speak Greek or Hebrew during the early days of the church.

Virtually every church I have attended that had people who spoke in tongues were not speaking a known recognized language. It was mumbo-jumbo...sorta, "Lom lom, lomma molla molla molla molla lom." Bunch'a hooey!

And there are some denoms that teach that if you don't speak in tongues, you are not saved. Shame on those denoms for telling a lie right out of the pit of hell.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

HAH! She'll spend more time at home then.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

Proud member of KA Club

I had a friend once that started attending a non-denominational church and asked me to go with her one Sunday. I agreed. I get there and at one point the preacher is going up to everyone in the congregation (about 20-30 people) and stays in front of them praying until they spoke in tongues. She got to me and I told her I was saved man and a Southern Baptist, she'd better move on or we would be there all day waiting for me to speak in tongues. It's not my gift and while some there were speaking in tongues (I recognized Italian and French), others were just babbling and nobody was interpreting. That's not how my bible says it's supposed to be done.
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by coordinatesales View Post
    I had a friend once that started attending a non-denominational church and asked me to go with her one Sunday. I agreed. I get there and at one point the preacher is going up to everyone in the congregation (about 20-30 people) and stays in front of them praying until they spoke in tongues. She...
    Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, w-e-e-e-e-e-oooooo, w-e-e-e-e-e-ooooo! Red flag! Red flag!

There's yer problem right there.

Proud member of KA Club

I was talking with someone years ago that attends such a "churh". they told me they went to classes to learn to speak in tounges. if it's a gift then why do they need to be taught ?

Hahahaaa! Exactly, Matt. What they were taking were language classes.

There are fruit cakes in every walk of life.

Proud member of KA Club

I don't blow in here often..........

my neighbor, whom I consider a holy roller bible thumping nut insistes he speaks in "Tongues". I asked him what it was and also for a demonstration, I never got one.

So, what exactly is "Speaking in Tongues"?

Signed,

Dumb Catholic Boy!

Scripturally, it was a gift to the first Christians in (my memory is shaky, here) in Jerusalem (I think). The book of Acts records it. The Gospel was being preached to an international crowd and there were no interpreters. So God empowered some to be able to communicate in a language not their own in order to expedite the growth of the church.

Later, in one of Paul's epistles, he tells how God wanted the gift of tongues to be used. It should NEVER be used if no one in the house was gifted with interpretation.

But since that time the world is so much more "international", particularly in communication, and the gift of tongues is not need any longer. Other gifts have passed as well and were usually reserved for Apostles. (BTW, the last Apostle to die was John. Anybody who calls himself an Apostle to day is a liar or he has very little understanding of Scripture.)

Edit: The first tongues event took place on Pentecost...the 50th day after Christ's Acension.

Proud member of KA Club

It's a state of spiritual ecstasy where cognizant thought diminishes and sometimes utterances occur that may sound like a foreign language but are simply noises without forethought.
    This experience often allows the practitioner to achieve a higher state of spiritual experience.

Tongues can't be taught other than to tell people the experience exists. A person has to have the ability to let go without thinking what might happen. Some people that have a lot of personal mental control might not be able to achieve this experience.

If this is the same experience as told in the Bible I don't know.

It's easy to fake the experience if one wanted. I think this happens in some Christian churches as "Speaking in tongues" is a sign or proof of being " Born again" in the spirit and can carry some status. Also in some churches if someone can't demonstrate tongues some of the congregation won't believe that person is saved and is suspect.
    Tracers work both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    It's a state of spiritual ecstasy where cognizant thought diminishes and sometimes utterances occur that may sound like a foreign language but are simply noises without forethought.
    This experience often allows the practitioner to achieve a higher state of spiritual experience.
    That means there is loss of self-control which is contrary ot the fruit of the Spirit. The last (not chronologically) in the fruit of the Spirit is self-control. So if what you say is true, they are not Spirit-filled and very likely not believers.

Proud member of KA Club

I have a fortysomething, semi-wealthy, valued, repeat customer that I had a service call from today. BS is not in her dictionary if you know what I mean.

She asked me how my day was going and I blurted out fine except my old lady has started speaking in tongues (she hasnt but i thought it was humorous and promptly told the customer i was jk). She says she has an aunt, who is very dear to her, that "speaks in tongues". She then proceeds to tell me what a crock of !@#$ it is and her aunt fakes every bit of it. She also mentions how her aunt makes up all kinds of other crap too. Just general lies and exaggerations about nothing of any real importance.

IMO its all about wanting attention.

Apparently when someone gets the urge to speak in tongues there may or may not be somone in the congregation who is touched by God and can decipher this nonscense. That makes them both liars IMO.

I cant freaking believe my old ladys buying in to it. Im pulling my damn hair out here.
    Phew, I dont know if I feel better after venting here or im more worked up.

Peace

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast