UV Light Placement

I narrowed my choice down to one installer who will be installing a Trane XL16i and a Trane A/H. He also will be installing a Trane Perfect Fit 5" media filter (not the Clean Effects). I then asked about the installation of a UV ligtht system using a two bulb system with separate bulbs - 16". I then asked about placement of the the UV bulbs and he wanted to install both of them stacked vertically with about 12" between the bulbs in the plenum between the coil and the media filter. I asked about installing one of the UV bulbs above the coil and the other UV bulb in the return plenum between the media filter and the coil. He wouldn't install the UV bulb above the coil because he claimed it would destroy/deteriorate the coil (fins).

I read various posts on this forum and the consensus seems to have a UV bulb above the coil. Should I now interview differnt HVAC companies to find one that agrees with putting a UV light above the coil? Is acceptable to install the UV lights as he proposed?

You and the installer need to read the manufacturers recommended installation instructions and do it that way. They usually give very simple easy to understand instructions. If he doesn't want to do it that way, then I would look elsewhere. That pretty much covers everybodys rearend.

bmathews -

The UV manufacturer is Bio-Fighter. The installation manual states under "Remote Lamp Mounting Locatin to select a mounting location with enough clearance for the lamp to be installed and replaced easily. Allow a 1" clearance between duct surface and lamp tip."

That's all the manual states for locaton - there are no pictures either of suggested locactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodshed View Post
    bmathews -

The UV manufacturer is Bio-Fighter. The installation manual states under "Remote Lamp Mounting Locatin to select a mounting location with enough clearance for the lamp to be installed and replaced easily. Allow a 1" clearance between duct surface and lamp tip."

That's all the manual states for locaton - there are no pictures either of suggested locactions.
    Wow. I've installed many Bryant/Carrier and Lennox bulbs and they are usually very specific. The only thing they have warned about is getting them to close to plastic drain pans or shining direct light on them. It warns of the UV light breaking them down.

woodshed You need to place both bulbs in the coil box. And I would put them above or in between the Vs on the top side of the coil. Most current HVAC manufactures have started adding a UV inhibitor in the plastics but all that does is prolong the damage of the pan. The active range of the bio fighters is 12 in either side of the bulb. And you will get more work done by keeping the bulbs close together and raising the UV mw. The Bios are a good bulb be careful though when sliding them in place. The wire that is on the out side of the bulb nicks easily. If the bulbs are with in 2 feet of the filter expect some degradation of the filter after several months if it has a direct path to the filter.

Genesis -

The A/H is mounted horizontally. Should one UV light be placed aboved the coil and one UV light be placed below the coil (the top and bottom of the A/H are now the sides of the A/H)?

Trane doesn't like UV in there equipment.
    We only want to do it, if we can do it right.

No I would put both above the coil in the wedges .

Since I will not be using the 1" filter supplied by Trane, how about mounting the two UV lights in the filter access panel? It is a removable access panel with two thumbscrew tabs to gain access to the filter compartement.

You will need some type of safety switch there to protect you or your hvac contractor from being burned. But if where you are talking about is close to wire harnesses they will need to be protected. Covere in foil tape is best. The can go any where after the filters . Dust will reduce the micro wattage from the bulbs they need to stay clean. Also don't let the light have direct site to the flex duct or you will have a break down of the liner.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodshed View Post
    Since I will not be using the 1" filter supplied by Trane, how about mounting the two UV lights in the filter access panel? It is a removable access panel with two thumbscrew tabs to gain access to the filter compartement.
    Major no-no. first you will find that Trane does not condone the use of UV lights.

Most important is that UV lights will break down the DNA in anything organic. The wiring harness covering is organic.

The location that you are choosing is full of wires. On the other hand the dealer that told you that it would destroy the fins led you in the wrong direction.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    The location that you are choosing is full of wires. On the other hand the dealer that told you that it would destroy the fins led you in the wrong direction.
    There are no wires in this location. The air filter access panel is located at the return end of the air handler, adjacent to the coil, not in the middle of the cabinet.