Question Trane Unit ventilator

I'm working on a Trane U/V, 1 year old. Too hot, found the valve actuator fully open the only info I've got on this actuator is that it is a 24v, 3 point modulating actuator. I'm not familar with this application for a actuator any help would be much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by westendmechanical View Post
    I'm working on a Trane U/V, 1 year old. Too hot, found the valve actuator fully open the only info I've got on this actuator is that it is a 24v, 3 point modulating actuator. I'm not familar with this application for a actuator any help would be much appreciated
    Its sounds like a Tri-state actuator. If so, one conection is the 24v common. The other 2 are 24 hot when the controller rotates the actuator. The controller applies 24v to turn the actuator cw or ccw. It is timed based on the stroke time of the actuator. If the actuator stroke time = 120 seconds and needs to open to 50%, voltage is applied for 60 seconds on one leg. Then if the actuator needs to go to 25% the controller applies voltage to the opposite leg for 30 seconds. If the controller is not actually stroking the actuator or is at the end of the travel, no voltage is measured. Most controllers will resync the actuator on some time schedule (1 per day). At this time voltage is applied to full open for full stroke time plus a little more 10/20% of stroke time. Than it will do the same in the opposite direction. After the resync it places the actuator to the correct position.

All you could ever want to know.

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=148831

Thanks for all the info guys, this has been a great help