Thread: Freon laws?

Freon laws?

I thought that it was illegal to sell to the public hvac systems without installing them. I am a HVAC contractor and it is not right that the public can go on line to ebay or craigslist and buy any system they want and they are trying to install them there self. If I am not mistaking, the seller is responsible anybody who buys the unit, not being cfc certified. I dont have my cfc book with me and thought someone could help me on this issue. If anyone has any facts to add I would appreciate it.

Any body can buy a pre charged unit according to EPA, it's just buying jugs of refrig where you need the certifiaction card.

When the EPA code was first proposed, it did contain a restriction that the purchaser would have to be EPA certified to PURCHASE any non-unitary product. That means household refrigerators, freezers, RTU's would all be publicly available but not split systems, walk-ins, etc. The major objectors to that rule were the various plumbing organizations around the country. Seems the plumbers don't want to be certified and don't know much about AC but they DO want the business of installing. So they put on a lot of pressure and the rule was "shelved", meaning it was permanently killed. So yes, anyone can purchase the equipment but technically, in order to install said equipment, you need to be EPA certified, if you're going to attach a gauge set to the system. Good luck enforcing it. If you can't get it done at the distribution point, forget enforcement after that.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

I thought it was Hamilton Home Systems that sued and won. You know, the "Winchester" furnace you can buy at a lumber yard.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    I thought it was Hamilton Home Systems that sued and won. You know, the "Winchester" furnace you can buy at a lumber yard.
    I wouldn't dispute you but I have no knowledge personally of any lawsuit pertaining to the rule I was discussing. In fact, I don't believe it ever got beyond the public comment stage. But hey, I've been wrong before so if you've got better info, like I said, I won't dispute it.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    I wouldn't dispute you but I have no knowledge personally of any lawsuit pertaining to the rule I was discussing. In fact, I don't believe it ever got beyond the public comment stage. But hey, I've been wrong before so if you've got better info, like I said, I won't dispute it.
    I am not sure either, I just remember a lot of flack about it. That was like 18 years ago or so.......early -90's anyway. I remember Hamilton Home Systems being in the middle of this..........I think!

It was all of the big box retailers along with Sears and other similar types of retailers. It will be interesting to see what happens with R410a not falling under any need for certification.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV