Houston help...need an analysis done..

I would like to have an analysis of my home done. We have been in it for 1 year now and I am tired of fighting with the system. We have a 5 ton a/c for the downstairs zoned between Master bedroom and all other downstair rooms) and a 2.5 ton unit for the upstairs. Problem is 2 fold..

1st. Dealing with humidity during the cold damp winter months.

2nd. Using a 5 ton A/C (zoned with main living area) to cool our bedroom (500 ft2) at night...

I would like to have someone from this board come and take a look and present options.

btw, we are located in Atascocita (Eagle Springs)

Greg

Sorry, we're at the other end of the country so we can't come an do you any good directly but we can make some suggestions.

Call around. Ask specific questions and don't book an appointment with any company that doesn't answer them correctly. Here's the basic checklist.

Q. How do you size replacement equipment for a residence?
    A. Should be "By load analysis..." or "By Manual 'J'..." or "By an engineering analysis...". The answer should definitely NOT be "By square footage..." or "By what's installed now...." or "By our vast experience..." or any combination/variation of such answers.

This one question and it's answers will give you mountains of information on the company you're speaking with because the ones that answer with proper load analysis are professional companies that employ professional people. They're in business to bring their customers comfort and they know how to analize mechanical, distribution and other probelms that could be affecting theh comfort of your system.

You may need to make 50-phone calls to find one or two companies that can answer the question properly but believe me, you'll ultimately save youself a whole bunch of money by starting with a company that knows all the mistakes others make and how to cure them.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    Sorry, we're at the other end of the country so we can't come an do you any good directly but we can make some suggestions.

Call around. Ask specific questions and don't book an appointment with any company that doesn't answer them correctly. Here's the basic checklist.

A. Should be "By load analysis..." or "By Manual 'J'..." or "By an engineering analysis...". The answer should definitely NOT be "By square footage..." or "By what's installed now...." or "By our vast experience..." or any combination/variation of such answers.

This one question and it's answers will give you mountains of information on the company you're speaking with because the ones that answer with proper load analysis are professional companies that employ professional people. They're in business to bring their customers comfort and they know how to analize mechanical, distribution and other probelms that could be affecting theh comfort of your system.

You may need to make 50-phone calls to find one or two companies that can answer the question properly but believe me, you'll ultimately save youself a whole bunch of money by starting with a company that knows all the mistakes others make and how to cure them.
    AMEN!!
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

I need a vacation.

Cover my plane fare and support all my vices while I work out your problem and I will not expect renumeration.

Let me guess the system was installed by BigTex. You have a zoned system installed but it was not designed as a zoned system.

That system will never efficiently or comfortably cool your home.

The best thing short of replacing the downstairs system with a properly designed system will be to install a whole house de-humidifier. There are several good brands available the best being by Therma Stor.

Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post

I have called around and so far either the companies I am comfortable with do not service my area or they sound like idiots...let's just say so far I have had the original installers out here to fix some problems and will never let them touch my house again. They couldn't even install a UV light correctly...

I know that there a few folks from Houston on here so I would like them to come have a look...

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Let me guess the system was installed by BigTex. You have a zoned system installed but it was not designed as a zoned system.

The best thing short of replacing the downstairs system with a properly designed system will be to install a whole house de-humidifier. There are several good brands available the best being by Therma Stor.

It was installed by Big Tex. I am the second owner of the house, so I had no say in who the installer was or what they installed...

btw classical, I believe I have called your company and was told you do not service this side of town...also, I am not against replacing the downstairs unit or installing a separate a/c for just the bedroom. I just need to know what my options are...

There you go. Sounds like classical is your new guy.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

I have already gotten the list of authorized installers from thermastor. I just need to know if this is the best option...

Quote Originally Posted by geshields View Post
    It was installed by Big Tex. I am the second owner of the house, so I had no say in who the installer was or what they installed...

btw classical, I believe I have called your company and was told you do not service this side of town...also, I am not against replacing the downstairs unit or installing a separate a/c for just the bedroom. I just need to know what my options are...
    You have spoken to me I am unaware but it is possible. Atascocita is a long way but I do work out there. Give me a call we will see what we can do for you.

You have spoken to me I am unaware but it is possible. Atascocita is a long way but I do work out there. Give me a call we will see what we can do for you.
    I thought I spoke with your company, not you directly but a woman (secretary/receptionist?) She had to call the owner to find out if you worked out here. At the time I was inquiring about a blower door test...

Maybe it was someone else from Houston on this board...

I will call you first thing in the morning...

Classical...Nice web site for your Business!! Too bad you don't have a Southwest Michigan Branch.