Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1/4" tubing bender?

In in need of a good tubing bender. I end up running a fair bit of pneumatic lines in an attempt to make them look perfect I need a good bender.

I've been using a bender that a coworker has, it's an old johnson controls bender and that thing is awesome! But of course they don't make it anymore.

What do you guys use to bend 1/4 stuff?
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

I bought all of mine from www.mcmaster.com On page 2277, I have the most all of the 180 degree single size benders. Either Ridgid or Imperial Eastman. All are very heavy duty. I don't care for the multi-size benders, too awkward.

use a long socket, whatever size fits your need, just bend it around the socket!

I just got a short radius 1/8" 3/16" 1/4" combo from Harbor Freight. Only good for 90° bends. Doesn't look to bad but I don't think it would last for everyday use. I needed something to fill an empty pocket in the new Pac
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

A got a set of benders about 20 yrs ago from Johnson Controls, used to be in their catalog....a good simple set to use,,

Just like every other good part Johnson Controls has, they've discontinued them! The replacement is a 3 in one bender from grainger... POS.

There are 3 guys in our area that have the good old style bender, but for some reason they aren't letting them out of their sight! I've used them and they are a slick unit...

bending spring on the small stuff. I have a ratcheting bender also. Did you try the auto parts one for brake lines? They're inexpensive and work....

or if you prefer......http://cgi.ebay.com/2-SWAGELOK-STAIN...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by smokin68; 01-16-2008 at 12:33 AM.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

I Carry around on of those 3in1 180 benders Johnstone sells but it always seems way to cumbersome to me. A couple of weeks ago I ran out to the local auto parts store and grabbed an el-cheapo tubbing bender they sell- It ain't much to look at but it fits in tight spaces and allows me to make bends on the fly while I'm running my 1/4" water lines for humidifiers. I was sloppy the first time I used it and almost kinked a line, but after that I've had no problems. It feels a little awkward in the hand with it's "teardrop" shaped handle but when I consider how easy it is to use otherwise it's worth it.

So far I'd have to say other than the "stamped metal construction" this thing is the bomb.

I don't know if this is that exact same tool or what size tubing it handles but this looks like the one I bought.

http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...egoryCode=3498
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Quote Originally Posted by smokin68 View Post
    bending spring on the small stuff. I have a ratcheting bender also. Did you try the auto parts one for brake lines? They're inexpensive and work....
    har har... You beat me to it smokin'
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Hey amick....I'll look in my junk boxes I might have some extras ones.......

Spring bender don't quite work as well as I'd like them to... I like to make exact(ish) bends that follow each other... kinda tough to do with a spring. Not to mention sliding it down 12' of tubing to make one bend.

I browsed the Napa store today actually, while I was waiting to be served... nothing too cool there really...

Andersorco, you'd be my hero if you managed to find one of them old school benders!

I used this bender a few times now and it's not bad. It is the one from Harbor Freight (labeled for automotive brake lines).

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by itsiceman; 01-17-2008 at 06:19 AM.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Imperial Eastman lever style bender.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast