Confused Nordyne Miller Furnace Problem

I hope some one has had this problem before because it's diving me nuts. I'm a HVAC/R mechanic and was called on a no heat . I located a broken igniter. I replaced the part and fired the unit and it kicked back and fluttered . I told the owner that I would be back to check it out . They called back and said it was about to blow up . I found the Venter motor housing snapped in half . I wrote the problem off assuming a faulty housing . I guess I should tell you that the furnace is 11 years old and the M/N G5RC080C16 . I replaced the assembly and the same backfiring & fluttering happened . I checked the intake & discharge for blockage , removed the baffles in the secondary heat exchanger and flushed with water witch came out slower than I'd like . I inspected for cracks in the primary and seen nothing . I checked gas pressure and found it erratic and adjusted it to 3.5 wc and it stayed consistant every time it started . This helped slightly but it delays on firing know and still complains .When it does fire , it behaves and doesn't act up . Is it possible the burners are at fault or the sec. heat ex. is just plugged enough to misbehave . Do I just replace the furnace . I'ts going to need a blower motor soon as well . plus the possible cost in labor & parts . I sure could us some help , thanks Radar1 .,

I ain't sure if you are a real tech or just mimicing what you have been told.

Too many probs happening at once for me not to suspect a part changer scenerio.

Clheck your local Nordyne dealer for advice and if you're legit he can get you some tech help.

This may be a reach...was the furnace used during the construction of the home (using propane) and never converted to use Nat. gas? I ran into a similar situation several years ago with a furnace that ran for 14 years with propane orifices and regulator spring with natural gas. The call was a no heat (broken igniter), but when I fired the furnace back up the flame characteristics were odd. Adjusting manifold pressures didn't help. While pondering what to do next, I happen to look down and saw a group of orifice spuds laying next to the furnace. Lo and behold, they were nat. gas orifices and everything clicked. Converted everything over and it corrected the problems.

There is a forum for professionals/techs here. sign up for that and you will get a lot more info
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

Quote Originally Posted by mddaine View Post
    This may be a reach...was the furnace used during the construction of the home (using propane) and never converted to use Nat. gas? I ran into a similar situation several years ago with a furnace that ran for 14 years with propane orifices and regulator spring with natural gas. The call was a no heat (broken igniter), but when I fired the furnace back up the flame characteristics were odd. Adjusting manifold pressures didn't help. While pondering what to do next, I happen to look down and saw a group of orifice spuds laying next to the furnace. Lo and behold, they were nat. gas orifices and everything clicked. Converted everything over and it corrected the problems.
    Read forum rules please. You are in violation until you can establish professional staus.

Nordyne furnace

I have 15 Years in the trade and do a lot of refrigeration & roof top work . I started working on heat pumps gas furnaces but have been out of it for a while . No I'm not throwing parts at this unit just replacing what was broken to further inspect the problem . I'm doing this for a close friend and have already called an experienced tech. and are following his tips . I'm not a fake and just l joined this site to see if you other experienced techs could help . thanks Radar1 .

Nordyne Furnace

The answer is no to the propane issue , thanks for the input though .

Radar,

Welcome to HVAC-Talk. Please review the forum rules. If you are a Pro there is a link for you to apply for Pro status, all links are in my signature line.

We can't discuss step by step repair or diagnostic procedure in the open forum, that is why we have the private Pro Forums.

Thanks!

Bob