Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Could use some advice...

here is my setup....
    I live in Indiana
    goodman 3 ton heat pump
    goodman 90+ gas furnace
    fossil fuel kit
    honeywell th8321u1006 thermostat

here is my problem..what can i do to improve??

1. when heat pump is on it goes into deforst mode like it is suppose to but the blower still is on and it is blowing very cold air into the house...is there a way to stop this when unit goes into defrost mode?? to me seems like it is defeating its purpose by lowering house temp...

2. when unit was installed there is NO out-side thermostat on heat pump so the heat pump will run at any temp even if it is 10 degrees...but not efficient i would guess...so if i get the honeywell C7089U1006 outside sensor will that serve as my outside "thermostat" and it should allow me lock out heat pump and display the outside temp on its display..

any info would be greatly appreciated...

Wade

Did you have this unit installed or buy the house with it already in?
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

was installed and bought house....units are about 5 years old...

I would recommend the honeywell pro 9000 IAQ thermostat. You can set the outdoor cut out temp so when the sensor sees the programmed temp say 40 degrees it will turn off the heatpump and run the furnace only. It also will allow back up heat if a set period of time elapses from first call for heat30,45,60 and 90 minutes. your thermostat needs to be configured for fossil fuel backup heat. It should have been set up this from the beginning. Can you switch to emergency heat and does the furnace come on?

actually i have not installed the honeywell 8321's yet just got one...but current white rodgers allows me to turn on emergency heat and furnance comes on...only no heat pump..

when set to "heat" and heat pump cannot raise temp it will kick over to aux heat...

my complaint is when heat pump goes into defrost...i want to stop the cold air or air conditioner phase from blowing into the house...

will the outdoor sensor work??? or help my situation?

need to check the control wiring from the heatpump to the furnace. Do not try to do this yourself. if you mess up, you will need some new parts, like a transformer, control board ,thermostat or at least a control fuse.

dont plan on it.. i have a friend with hvac experience commercial experience..though...kind of wanting an idea from other people to see if he is in right direction...

what should he look for from heat pump to fossil kit...any other info or advice u could give us??

You really need to call a professional to help you. Your fossil fuel kit may not be working right (relay out?) Has it always done this? adding this new stat may not help at all, may make it worse. If you have a pro 9000 installed you will not need the exsiting fossil fuel control on your furnace. But you will need the outdoor sensor with it. To answer your question, adding an outdoor sensor to your new stat will not help with the defrost. your heatoump will defrost when it needs to based on the demand defrost control in the outdoor unit. At that time it should signal back up heat from the furnace to temper the supply air indoors.

always done this since installed....as far as blowing the cold air back into house...is it possible to set-up these units to not blow the cold air into the house when in defrost because i do not have electric strips just natural gas furnace....to temper the air...??

Sounds like the installation was never checked out or wired right. THe heat pump does not blow the "cold air back into the house" your heat pump is basicaly in the cooling mode and is circulating the heated refrigarent around the outdoor unit for the defrost cycle. Your furnace should be on during the defrost mode. You need to call a pro. Sounds like you don't know how this system works. Call the people who put it in ( the system) and have them fix it.

You will always have some cold air blowing out the regs on a duel fuel. Takes a minute for the furnace to warm up when the HP goes into defrost.
    No, you can't turn off the ID blower when the HP goes into defrost.
    You can lock out the HP before its gets cold enough for it to need defrost. And the 8321 will do that for you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

every piece of equipment has an owners manual.READ IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrfixit39 View Post
    every piece of equipment has an owners manual.READ IT!
    mrfixit39...for ur information..i dont have the manuals for the units because the contractor did not leave them....and i did nit go to school for this i was just asking basic information..mrattitude!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast