Heil furnace intermittent

I got a Heil PGAA47F1K1 gas furnace that will come on and run for approx. 10 seconds and shut off. It will do this twice and then stay running. I have been working in this business for 13 years and am not a DIYer. I do industrial hvac and a good guy that I know has been having this problem on his furnace. He has had every part changed in this thing and it still does it. I went over the standard questions w/ him and everything seems ok. I was just wondering if anybody has had this problem before. It does have some age on it (approx. 13 yrs. old) and has worked fine until he had the inducer motor changed last year. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx.

Inducer - proper one? Poor install? You should go check it out.

Welcome to the site, we have rules that you need to read. Stick around and apply for pro membership where there are technical forums where this can be discussed.

One other thought is who put the inducer on? I would hope they would stand behind their work.

Yeah I would hope they would stand by their work too. This is just the story he gave me and it is hard to tell what the symptoms really are. U never know until you drag your meter across it yourself. I assume the inducer is the right one and is put on right, but we all know how that goes too. I just wondered if anyone has come across this problem and could make it a lil easier. Thanx a ton for your help Moose and Senior Tech.

P.S. Anyone else care to take a crack at it?

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Tech View Post
    Welcome to the site, we have rules that you need to read. Stick around and apply for pro membership where there are technical forums where this can be discussed.

just curious how you post without giving advice on repairs, when repair advice is what is being asked for?

how do you get the required posts for professional menbership?

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    just curious how you post without giving advice on repairs, when repair advice is what is being asked for?

how do you get the required posts for professional menbership?
    its not that you have to wow them with your technical expertise to be approved. your post count is just a numerical reference point regarding some activity on the site. i suppose they can tell , or try to , if you're a complete flake thru your interaction with the others, but the background information you submit is the most significant part of your membership being approved.

also, i would think the post count weeds out the d.i.y.'ers that might be inclined to try and fake credentials in hopes of gaining entrance to the pro's section (if it were a 'same day you show up here, you're in' type deal).

* this is my take on the process. i'm in no way a part of the web sites staff, administration, blah, blah, blah... i asked if i could help 'em run the place and was informed i was lucky they let me come here at all.

oh, and regarding the original post, i had a HEIL gas furnace the other day that would cycle the inducer motor on-off, on-off during a 'no call for anything' from the thermostat. it would do this between calls for heat (when nothing should have been on, aside from the fan-off delay at the end of the heat cycle).

when the next call came for heat, all was well til the thermostat was satisfied again.

most enjoyably (not), it would do this very intermittenly (my being within a block of the house seemed to make it NOT do what the homeowner was trying to describe to me)

the only thing that would halt the process was an open (created by me) in the ................. cirut. so, i ................ (censored stuff available in the pro's technical section)

* non-pro status here is like getting to look at the front of a playboy. enjoyable, sure. but the really good stuff is inside.

Quote Originally Posted by tribeis1 View Post
    Yeah I would hope they would stand by their work too. This is just the story he gave me and it is hard to tell what the symptoms really are. U never know until you drag your meter across it yourself. I assume the inducer is the right one and is put on right, but we all know how that goes too. I just wondered if anyone has come across this problem and could make it a lil easier. Thanx a ton for your help Moose and Senior Tech.

P.S. Anyone else care to take a crack at it?
    funny you would mention crack, if you go look at it, try to check on top of the blower deck, secondary exchanger, for the press rings that hold the clamshell heatexchanger together, also orings behind the inducer to be sure they are not dry and cracked.
    You can't fix stupid