Replace or Repair 12 yr old Carrier HP

Hello All! I am new to this forum and request advice on how to proceed with repairing or replacing my 12 yr old Carrier 13 SEER HP. We have a Carrier Comfort Zone system, including an LP gas furnace that we use for heat, so time is on our side for now. The accumulator on our unit rusted & all of the refrigerant leaked out.

I have a friend who can repair the accumulator & recharge the system for a relatively small cost or we are looking at possibly replacing the outside unit since it's 12 years old. The question I have is, can we replace the outside unit with a non-Carrier unit, like Armstrong, or should I stick with Carrier?

If I can go with another brand, can I move up to a 14 SEER unit to get a scroll compressor, or must I stick with a 13 SEER unit like I have now? I'm under the impression that scroll compressors are quieter and more reliable, but it seems that many brands do not offer scroll compressors on their lower (13) SEER units.

Thanks in advance for any help!

you can possibly switch to different brand HP equip, but replace the a-coil also. With the lower end efficiency the blower shouldn't be a factor, so HP wiring is basically the same, brand for brand. personally I would upgrade the whole system to a variable speed blower, 2 stage hp,2 stage gas backup.
    You can't fix stupid

you have two choices
    repair the unit you have
    replace inside and outside so you have a matcked system

to put one brand with a differant brand can lead to a multitude of problems in most cases. Maybe one in a hundred work out ok

also going to 14seer you will have even more problems unless you upgrade inside coil also

if you unit is working ok and no isues then just fix it

Buy the most effcient MATCHED!!!! system your budget will allow. It will have a warranty and be more effcient. The next repair will be exspensive, then the next and the next and then Doooh! I should have bought a new system! Sorry, I hear this a lot, a new system will give you peace of mind ( warranty) and add value to your home and save you money on a monthly basis.
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

You have to initial options.
    A. Replace the equipment when it bests suits you.
    B. Replace the equipment under duress when it has a catastrophic failure.

12-years old, IMO, is ripe for a major failure. You could operate it another 10-years and not have anything more than the accumulator problem but the statistical data is strongly not in your favor. Understanding the odds, the questions beceoms, are you currently in a financial position to replace all or at least the major parts of the system? If the answer is yes, then I'd do it with a smile on my face if I were you because if you wait, your financial situation could have changed for multitude of reasons. If the answer is no, then there is really no good time to replace it so you might as well take your chances.

If you do decide to replace, you should follow the advice of others already posted. 1. Replace both the indoor and outdoor units (HP and indoor coil) so that you have a matched set. This will give you better performance and should you need technical support in the future, the manufacturers won't be giving short shrift because of a mis-match. If your budget allows, I'd upgrade to the most efficient and comfortable system I can afford. That is, a 2-stage gas furnace (80% or 95%, depending on the length and depth of your winter season) with a variable speed blower, 9.0-9.5 HSPF 2-stage heat pump. I'd also recommend staying with Carrier or Bryant (same equipment) because of the high efficiency and solid construction. The highest efficiencty (Infinity or Evolution) systems with those brands has a scroll compressor with an electric unloader valve in it to change from 1st stage to 2nd stage quietly, without stopping. Be advised, they also have an Evolution HP that is NOT the top of the line but has a different compressor that does stop to change stages. I'd recommend an Infinity or Evolution 2-stage gas furnace with the Evolution User Interface and if you want to zone the system for any reason, as long as the ducts are exposed, that's easily done with the Infinity/Evolutuion line. I hope this information helps your decision.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Hope your friend is a licensed contractor. And if he works for someone, I'll bet he isn't letting his boss in on it. Better check to be sure he has insurance as well. You won't get much support here for people doing side jobs.
    If the "friend" is not a licensed contractor, call one. In the long run you will glad you did.
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

Hmm

You said you had a 13 seer unit and is 12 yrs old. Carrier did not make a 13 seer unit 13 years ago. Do u know the model number. Also stick with carrier they have best built units out now also there low end outdoor units come with a scroll compressor. either go with 13 or 15 seer. you will only save a couple dollars a year going with 14 seer and the payout is not worth it.

Thanks

Model number is 38YRA024310, installed in summer of 1996. We've been very happy with the unit (up to this point!).

Thank you all for your replies! Yes, my friend is a licensed contractor, but he is very busy & didn't provide much in the way of an opinion about what I should do.

This is my first experience with a heat pump and I expected the system to last quite a bit longer than 12 years!

Hmm

ok now that I know what the unit you have is. That is a 12 seer unit when it was built so with the age and everything it is pushing about 11 seer. The yra is top teir unit when it was made. i would replace the accumalator on it if it was me you still got three more good years out of that unit. If you decide to change it go with a new unit go with the perfrmance carrier that is what replaced that model and replace the indoor coil.