Confused Comfort zone RETROFIT??

Hi,

we JUST installed a Trane XV80 furnace in our home.

Can we create zone heating (3-5 zones where there are already heat runs) without replacing our furnace, e.g. by just adding dampers and additional thermostats?

Many thanks!

~Louie.

yes, the furnace is sized for total system size, that doesn't change, there should be a bypass to dump excess airflow when less than all zones are calling.
    You can't fix stupid

Find a trane dealer who uses trane comfort link zoning system. you may not need a bypass if this zoning system is used properly and the ducts to your zones are sized right. The comfort link system can contol up to 8 zones( most I have done is with six) with two stage equipment and variable speed fan. Your XV 80 is both. I have never used a bypass duct on any zone jobs I have installed (50+ per year). How ever depending on your homes lay out and accessability to duct work you may need a bypass. A MAN D is critical when zoning as well as a Man J so you know the loads per zone.
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

Smile Thank you!

Thanks for the info!

Quick follow up

I was just reading about the virtues of Carrier and Lennox comfort control systems over complexity of Trane...
    (http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/archive/ind...?t-120714.html)

Can the control systems from one company (e.g. Carrier) be used to control a furnace from another (e.g. Trane).

It is my opinion that the zoning by trane is the best !( ahem, a little pregidous there). you have to complete a course in man d to be able take a trane zone class, is that bad? The zoning by trane when set up correctly is very versatile and flexible. being thoroughly trained in the product you sell is a good thing. Too many people are doing zoning jobs that should not be. I even use trane zoning on my Water furnace installs. I would advise to use the same brand as your furnace for zoning for none other then warranty purposes, unless your trane guy is not trained on zoning. those who are well trained on their product will know their "stuff" and will install it with confidence. If your carrier guy is well versed in his zoning and the trane guy is not use him. ( carrier). Before you choose ask for referrals from your bidders and check them out! I would also advise to buy a warranty with your zoning, doing it right is not cheap, and a warranty will provide peace of mind and protect your investment. I'm not trying to start a poo flinging contest on who has the best zoning, but it has been my experience (20+ years) that what I'm using is an awesome product, with a 100% referral rate with my customers who have it. research your bidders and ask for training proof, and references from people who have their zoning product. most of the trouble with zoning is little or no training with the product. Regardless of brand choose the best trained guy and his product. His references will let you know

We've been both a Trane and Bryant dealer. We're thoroughly trained on the Trane Comfortlink system as well as the Bryant Evolution system. With proper training and installation, either system should work equally well when installed. The big difference comes when one system or the other has a problem. The Trane systems we installed required software and a laptop computer on the job to diagnose problems. The Carrier/Bryant Infinity/Evolution system requires a pair of eyeballs (actually, just one eyeball will do) and know how to access the data that's already been recorded in the User Interface (thermostat). In addition, the Carrier/Bryant system checks the ducts for leakage and reports it, checks the static pressure daily, checks the zone output capacity daily and calculates all new balancing algorithms daily. When we were installing the Trane zone systems, we thought they were the cat's meow until we had to service them. Now that we're doing the Bryant Evolution systems, nothing could be more user friendly at the initial installation and for any troubleshooting in the future. Carrier/Bryant has left Trane in the dust with their new equipment, IMO.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    We've been both a Trane and Bryant dealer. We're thoroughly trained on the Trane Comfortlink system as well as the Bryant Evolution system. With proper training and installation, either system should work equally well when installed. The big difference comes when one system or the other has a problem. The Trane systems we installed required software and a laptop computer on the job to diagnose problems. The Carrier/Bryant Infinity/Evolution system requires a pair of eyeballs (actually, just one eyeball will do) and know how to access the data that's already been recorded in the User Interface (thermostat). In addition, the Carrier/Bryant system checks the ducts for leakage and reports it, checks the static pressure daily, checks the zone output capacity daily and calculates all new balancing algorithms daily. When we were installing the Trane zone systems, we thought they were the cat's meow until we had to service them. Now that we're doing the Bryant Evolution systems, nothing could be more user friendly at the initial installation and for any troubleshooting in the future. Carrier/Bryant has left Trane in the dust with their new equipment, IMO.
    I can't argue for the main reason is that I have not used the bryant system, It sounds great by the way. I am still saying that the person who COMPLETELTY understands the capabilities and limitations of his system ( brand) will be good a choice, regardless of brand Wait till the upgraded comfort link hits the market. Pretty cool.