HRU and Trane 2 Stage Compressor

Two questions regarding a Trane XL16i A/C and a Trane 4TEEF3F40B A/H.

1. The comperessor is a two stage unit - how do I now when the second stage is running. Is there a different sound or higher rpm on the fan on the A/C unit or is there a display on the TStat that shows that the 2nd stage is being used? The TStat will be a Trane TCONT803.

2. I wanted a HRU installed with this above items but I was told by the installer that Trane does not recomend a HRU with a two stage comperessor. Is this correct?

Thanx

You may notice the increase in airflow. The 803 won't tell you unless the installer rigs up the fault light to come on with high compressor.

HRU???? Desuperheater for hot water?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    HRU's/d water, desuperheaters for hot water,aren't effective on high SEER systems.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    You may notice the increase in airflow. The 803 won't tell you unless the installer rigs up the fault light to come on with high compressor.

HRU???? Desuperheater for hot water?
    HRU = heat recovery unit. It is a small heat exchanger and recirc pump mounted near the A/C unit that uses the refrigerant (R410a in my case) from the compressor to heat the water from the water heater.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    HRU's/d water, desuperheaters for hot water,aren't effective on high SEER systems.

So is it beacuse the comperssor is a two stage unit or that it's a high SEER (17) unit?

Also - another question. How long does it take for the blower for this A/H to ramp up to full speed?

Don't do the hru. If you are looking for higher effciency water heaters, there are heat pump water heaters out there and other high effciency options.
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodshed View Post
    Also - another question. How long does it take for the blower for this A/H to ramp up to full speed?
    If you have Comfort-R, the dehumidification delay on, 8.5 minutes. Personally I'd leave it off and use a Vision Pro IAQ with dehumidify on demand. Then it ramps up faster but if humid, won't go to full blow for that stage.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    You're a learned guy Dave, but we don't agree here. SEER is not a function of heat rejection. A HRU delivers FREE heat via the absorbed / rejected heat. IE: 36,000 is 36,000 BTU regardless of SEER. It is true that older recip systems had the benefit(?) of the heat of compression that added to the net heat rejected, but FREE hot water is FREE hot water.

You'd have to ask -- if the New Hi SEER systems aren't a good source of producing heat, how do new heat pumps work in the heat mode?

The Florida Solar Energy Center supports HRU

Dash, Coolguys
    Sample House: Naples, Fl. Year built: 2000 Outdoor unit: 38TDA048 w/HRU
    Indoor unit: FV4***005
    F-klixon intermittent with staging,capacity (unsatisfactory performance)
    eliminate F-klixon HRU delivers hot water for a family of 4 during cooling season
    Impact on refrigeration and comfort unremarkable.
    We as a company do not advocate HRUs due to above experience.

Humor me I need 30 post to be a professional.