geo heat pump questiôn

I have got my heat pump up and running at my cabin my return Air is 63f my supply Air is 78f after 3 hrs i noticed frost on suction line át comp i have suff ra Air flow i know by servicing ACs that I should not have frost. Is it diff for a heat pump. Thanks

call a trained geothermal tech. who is familiar with your equipment. If you don't know the answer to your question, you can't fix it.
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

Sorry to upset you geo my cabin is fly in hard to Find help i have worked on hundreds of acs and furnaces never done geo

I'm sure you can find a trained tech to load all his tools up and fly in, if the money is right.

Quote Originally Posted by cbprov View Post
    Sorry to upset you geo my cabin is fly in hard to Find help i have worked on hundreds of acs and furnaces never done geo
    Well if you have worked on hundreds of a/c's this should be a snap for you.

Hmm

you know I cannot rember what the temp difference should be on the geo side I think its 3 degrees and 4 gallons of water flow per ton of ac or heat water sorce temps make a difference in output performance under 50 degrees

You did not upset me my friend, its just refrigeration basics.
    Most manufactures recommend a flow rate of 3.0 gpm per ton MINUMUM ( water flow) by the way. your unit is heatpump. depending on the water flow your delta t and delta p will change at your coax. This will have an impact on your heat pump as it runs. it must have cost a fortune to fly your unit and loop to your cabin. Two friends of mine are bush pilots in Alaska.
    Last edited by geodude; 01-13-2008 at 02:12 PM.

I had pipe flown in with contractor to do loop unit came in by winter road.it is a 4 ton unit 4 500ft loops of 1in 500ft of 1 1/4. Manifold with 45 ft rise to unit in cabin .recircs are 2 gr26-116. I install. Hvac equip res and com i dont service geo is new to me thanks

Check the water in and water out connections. make sure the water is flowing in the right direction through the coax. This is important to the thermal exchange from the water to the refrigerant in the coax. There are three things we normally look for when troubleshooting a geo unit, water flow ,water flow, water flow. Not always will this be the case, but most of the time. With a factory built flow center the inlet and outlet are labeled.
    If your loop guy did a proper install the flow center will work fine. it has been my experience, rarely is it the equipments fault when a malfunction occurs at start up. usually the problem is install caused. Don't use gauges to troubleshoot your unit unless you have ran out of all other options. If indeed you are a service tech, your unit should have a start up check list, if you do not i bet the manufacturer will on line. This unit is no different then an air source heatpump. it just uses water instead of air for the thermal exchange process. Good luck my friend

How much flow do you have? Have you calculated the Reynolds number for you ground loop? Four one inch dia loops in parallel would at least make me do the calculation to determine trublent flow. I have a three ton unit with three 300' loops of 3/4" pipe and two inch feeders 100' and 1-1/4 inch pipe in the house, 40'. My flow is between nine and ten GPM.

i think with my 45 ft rise estimated it might be a bit higher 55ft max hard to judge by looking at cabin from lake to est height , possible with the two up26-116 pumps iam not getting the gpm i require ,iam getting back on monday will try find out some info then with a local geo guy