Thread: Empire Mantis

Empire Mantis

Does anyone have any experience with the Mantis that is made by Empire? Our sales rep is trying to get us to order one for our showroom. I like the concept of a condensing fireplace that is over 90% efficient, but the cost of it... yikes Would like to hear from anyone that has installed one.

one word UGLY

I agree!! I certainly is not the traditional fireplace look. The only advantage I could see when the salesman was showing us the specs was the fact that it could be vented with PVC and of course the efficiency. However most of the people that buy fireplaces from us are not looking at how efficient the unit is.

Looks like an ancient pellet stove.

http://dev.obatadesign.com/clients/E...ces/Mantis.asp

If your customers are not interested in efficency then I don't think its worth it. Probably its only use to you would be when the smaller PVC vent would be the only way to do the job.

the first 3 units we got had problems, one unit needed to go back other 2 we got fixed. Last one we just installed had no problems with, so they must of got the bugs out of it. We can't sell it for empires list price too much $$. I would suggest working on getting your rep to give you a better purchase price and a better display credit and if he does go for it.

Scubasteve, what type of problems did you have with them? Sales rep said that it was one of the most reliable units there could be (coming from a salesman I knew that wasn't true ). We are still debating if we should bite the bullet and order one for our showroom.

Smile

The first one(must of been one of there first off production line) never could get it to work replaced everything, had to send it back to factory. The second one we had to replace the board on the front panel. The third one was the temp sensor. But the last two now have had no problems so I think it is safe to say they are all fixed and good to go.

So what is the lastest info on the Mantis? I'm have an application that this would be perfect for, but I need more "hands on" reports before I invest almost $4k.

Thanks

Mantis

We took the plunge and got one of these recently. I really wanted an efficient fireplace insert. I also really like the idea of the humidifier. Unfortunately, the humidifier pump is giving me problems. Once it goes on it, will not shut off. I am going to call mantis tomorrow. We are also having trouble getting them to send the altitude derater. The manual says there is a "unit" for that, but that was not sent. Now, when I call, they say just to adjust at the manifold. So, still trying to figure that out. I think I like it though! :P