Stulz (indoor) and Larkin (outdoor) Units

Here's the deal as best I can explain it. A Cell Co. has space in a building with 4-Stulz (?) indoor units and 4- Larkin (RC6-0399) Heat craft outdoor units. The Cell Co. is moving out and doesn't really want to move these units. My customer will be taking over the whole building which includes the Cell space. Now I've priced out installing 8 to 10 new RTU's and associated duct. What they want to know now is if they bought/got these units from the Cell Co., one, can they be retrofitted to condition the building to their needs (the space will be open warehousing) and two, will it be cheaper than the new RTU's in the short term and long term? The Stulz units don't have any numbers on the outside of them so I don't know exactly what they are or their capacities and I wasn't prepared to open them up and see if they had numbers on the inside as I didn't have tools with me and the walkthrough was very brief.

Let me say I've never dealt with these. I don't know how efficiently they can be being used other than in an IT environment. I don't know their worth. Without any numbers, I don't know their age but we are guessing they were new when they went in 6/7 years ago. Next week I'll have to contact a local Dist. but I'm just throwing it out there to see if any one has any experience or thoughts on these units.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by messiah View Post
    The Stulz units don't have any numbers on the outside of them so I don't know exactly what they are or their capacities, I don't know their worth. Without any numbers, I don't know their age, any one have any experience or thoughts on these units.Thanks in advance.

as long as your not putting up a bunch of walls, it has a good chance of working fine

but you sure didn't give much info on the systems!

I know I don't have to much on the units. I have pictures but am not sure how to upload them. I'll work on it. If you could see them then maybe you could better tell what they are. I visited their website (Stulz and Larkin) but nothing looked similar, on the Stulz website, to the models I have. Thank you.

Stulz are pretty good units.They usually used in computer rooms, but pretty often they used for comfort cooling in retail and office applications. What You probably have is package indoor watercooled units with Larkin drycoolers on a roof. If You going to use space as an open storage room these uits might work just fine. You probably would have to modify ductwork.

We'll need to run the duct across the space, quite a ways, and install reheat coils.

These units might have reheat coils in them already.

I need to schedule another walk through. The workers at this facility are very skittish. They think you're trying to steal their lucky charms!

We'll need to run the duct across the space, quite a ways, and install reheat coils.

why do you feel you need reheat?

just maintain a 72* space and you may have a couple of whiiners!

Last edited by Airmechanical; 01-15-2008 at 06:42 AM.

Just be aware that simultaneous heating and cooling operations (i.e. constant volume reheat systems) are not permitted under most mechanical/energy codes.

What this means is, if you have 4 units, you have 4 temperature control zones, no more.

If you do add reheat, and get caught, you could be liable for the code violation. Do your homework 1st!