Thread: YT VSD Instantaneous over current fault

Post Likes

YT VSD Instantaneous over current fault

M#: YTG1A2C2-CKJ
    Panel#:371-02264-106
    Starter#: VSD351 T-46
    460 Volt

This chiller has been intermittently tripping on "High phase X(a-b-c)
    instantaneous over current".
    It is not isolated to one specific phase, it will fault on "A" Then "B", or "C".
    It will go months without tripping then do it 7-10 times in a 4-6 hour period. Then go weeks or months without a trip.
    It has been doing this about 2 years intermittently. Chiller is about 5 years old and runs 24/7 /365
    Have checked all connections, all good.
    Replace micro-board about a year ago due to some comm issues, but was doing this before replacing board.
    Have a Fluke power line monitor on it now, have recorded some power dips of
    8-10 Milliseconds. But, the time of dips do not match up with time stamp of
    diagnostics in Optiview. Yes, times are sync.'d between analyzer and optiview.
    I still suspect a power line issue, but just don't have the proof yet.

Any thoughts or suggestions from York gurus would be greatly appreciated.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by drivewizard View Post
    M#: YTG1A2C2-CKJ
    Panel#:371-02264-106
    Starter#: VSD351 T-46
    460 Volt

This chiller has been intermittently tripping on "High phase X(a-b-c)
    instantaneous over current".
    It is not isolated to one specific phase, it will fault on "A" Then "B", or "C".
    It will go months without tripping then do it 7-10 times in a 4-6 hour period. Then go weeks or months without a trip.
    It has been doing this about 2 years intermittently. Chiller is about 5 years old and runs 24/7 /365
    Have checked all connections, all good.
    Replace micro-board about a year ago due to some comm issues, but was doing this before replacing board.
    Have a Fluke power line monitor on it now, have recorded some power dips of
    8-10 Milliseconds. But, the time of dips do not match up with time stamp of
    diagnostics in Optiview. Yes, times are sync.'d between analyzer and optiview.
    I still suspect a power line issue, but just don't have the proof yet.

Any thoughts or suggestions from York gurus would be greatly appreciated.
    check the motor leads for rubbing on the motor housing. right as they come out of the motor.

Post Likes
    The problem is not in the micro. Does this machine have a filter trap on the machine? I also need to know what version software you are running in the machine.

Post Likes
    Chiller32: I have been thinking about what you said, if it were one of the motor leads rubbing, wouldn't the high phase current fault be isolated to that phase. It is random, sometimes phase A, sometimes phase B, other times C.
    Also, after tripping on this, 20-30 times you would think it would blow a hole thru the wire a mile wide! But, I will double check the wires next time I am there, to be certain. That is why I am thinking it is a power quality issue, not a chiller issue, but no proof yet.

Millenniumchill: By Filter trap do you mean: line reactor? If so the answer is no. If you mean something else, I don't know. I would have to check into that.
    I do not know the version of software, I assume you mean the rev# of the e-prom on micro? It might be several weeks or a month before I get back there to check on these items.
    Will keep posted. Thanks

Post Likes
    I had the exact problem you are describing however with a board change out the problem was solved. It ended up being loose connections on the Board plugs
    I was also instructed to look for the rubbing problem also. Thats why I suggested it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in