Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hacked out and had enough

I am sick of all the hackery I have been running into lately.Where the hell have all the skilled people gone.First of all to sheet metal hacks, a structural engineer designs a 20"x6" glue lam for a reason, not so you can come in 25 years later and take a 10"x24" section out of it because you are to damn lazy to make a transition.Secondly, to mechanical engineers, use simple math to add up CFM's on constant volume system with a bypass.When you add up the minimum of all the boxes and add the bypass damper and you are still 2500CFM short of what the unit pushes , think, where the hell do you think the extra 2500 CFM is going to go, 5 year old units and they both have lost compressors.I am getting whiplash from shaking my head at all the stupidity I have seen lately.

2 Words: LOW BID!

Quote Originally Posted by drivewizard View Post
    2 Words: LOW BID!
    value engineering

good luck.
    When I am late for work, I usually make up for it by leaving early.

It seems that in all trades for every one good skilled tradesman there are three that are willing to go for cheap and quick then we have to explain why it's going to cost more to fix it than it would have to do it right the first time

Quote Originally Posted by sodd81927 View Post
    It seems that in all trades for every one good skilled tradesman there are three that are willing to go for cheap and quick then we have to explain why it's going to cost more to fix it than it would have to do it right the first time
    whats up severville, hows buis. over in that neck of the woods

Oh, the stories we could all tell...

Low bid, quick build, drive by commissioning, run like hell.
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

The "Low Bid Syndrome", AKA "The Accountants Are Running The World",
    sure keeps our company busy.
    jogas

hahahaha

I just lost my job (I was about to quit anyways) due to the 75% Mexican crews spreading lies about me, afraid I would get their work due to my union training and experience

good thing...

I already had my next job lined up. Now I'm back home, working out of SF Local 38. They don't allow hacks in San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    whats up severville, hows buis. over in that neck of the woods

I live in Seviervile but work all over E.TN out as far as Crossville. Just do Supermarket Referigeration and some consultation work for a compressor rebuilder. It's a little slow right now only about 90 hrs per week...LOL

I am jealous. Hopefully one day I can work my way back home to that neck of the woods.

That term cracks me up, it should be lack of value engineering. I guess it is the politicaly correct term for cheap as possible or cut every corner possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    value engineering

good luck.
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jcarlding View Post
    hahahaha

I just lost my job (I was about to quit anyways) due to the 75% Mexican crews spreading lies about me, afraid I would get their work due to my union training and experience

good thing...

I already had my next job lined up. Now I'm back home, working out of SF Local 38. They don't allow hacks in San Francisco
    Just curious. You said the mexican crews were lying about you. What part of the country were you in ? Were the mexicans doing install ? What kind of install if so ? I'm not predjudiced. Of course the idea of someone doing my job for half the price does concern me. I'm in oklahoma and the only thing left that the mexicans don't do is hvac, plumbing and electrical. I didn't really ever see them breaking into that but I guess I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by okctech View Post
    Just curious. You said the mexican crews were lying about you. What part of the country were you in ? Were the mexicans doing install ? What kind of install if so ? I'm not predjudiced. Of course the idea of someone doing my job for half the price does concern me. I'm in oklahoma and the only thing left that the mexicans don't do is hvac, plumbing and electrical. I didn't really ever see them breaking into that but I guess I'm wrong.

Los Angeles area, working out of UA Local 250. A lot of the folks in that local are of Hispanic decent. Also, many of the folks working for the company were members of the sheetmetal union (mostly Hispanic)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast