Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes

Final Update

Well...I opted to buy a CO2 Pipe Freeze kit and it worked like a charm. We purged the hot water lines w/ cold water so the temperature was about 60*F.

In about 35 minutes we had plugs developed.

One thing I'll say, which was previously said, have plenty of spare CO2 on-hand.
    We did 6 freeze plugs on a 2" CU line and consumed almost 100 #'s of CO2. This included about 1 hour of cutting & fitting time after the freeze.

Based on this experience, I would recommend this method over the Ridgid Machine.

Post Likes
    We've been using Add-A Valves on some line leaks that are so old the original valves don't hold or a broken. Quite pricey $700 plus for an 1 1/4 line.
    There's TREACHERY AFOOT!!!

Post Likes

Rigid 2500

I know I should start a new thread, as this is old; but I work for a HVAC company and we have had some success with the 2500, (it's brand new). My question is there anything better? Our facilities in Alaska have glycol and wanted to know what's out for industrial applications, (if there is such a thing). I know this is going to depend on how strong we have the mixture, currently we are working on a facility that has a rating (fractometer) reading of -5 to -10 and the machine is tripping out. So if we are going to spend the money on new equipment, I would like to get some of your thoughts/opinions.

Post Likes
    We use the CO2 on carbon and copper up to 2". Never seen anything bigger than 2" frozen.
    That kit is awesome and has paid for itself many times over. Don't forget to make sure the tank fas a dip tube in it.
    I wrap a wet rag on either side of the sleeves
    Ihave also seen the hospital get flooded when one guy got to close to the plug in a tight spot.

For smaller copper lines it would be wise to have a squeeze kit nearby just in case.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mcr View Post
    We've been using Add-A Valves on some line leaks that are so old the original valves don't hold or a broken. Quite pricey $700 plus for an 1 1/4 line.
    For some reason alot of the supply houses charge more, alot more actually for a 1-1/4 ball valve vs a 1-1/2
    UA Local 562

Post Likes
    This is to pay for small-volume-order, and inventory cost as they probably sell 20 times as many 1 1/2".

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by AJS HVAC View Post
    For some reason alot of the supply houses charge more, alot more actually for a 1-1/4 ball valve vs a 1-1/2
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Didnt know such a tool was available to freeze water
    UA Local 562

Post Likes
    Neither did I. <g>

As with many things; I thought I had invented the idea of freezing a pipe that had no valve. Originally I used dry ice blocks until one day a building owner said: You do it Yourself? We usually have to pay some pipe company to come do it for contractors.

What do they use? Dry ice?

No; they have some elaborate rig they haul in here: hoses and tanks. They act like it's a big deal.

Huh; I just use dry ice.

So after that I started asking around and found that it was a big speciality item. <g> Hell; I just thought it was one more part of the job. <g>

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by AJS HVAC View Post
    Didnt know such a tool was available to freeze water
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    I have a Ridgid 2000 model. It uses r22. I added service valves to it and undercharged it a little. It'll freeze down to -30F in a very short period of time. I bought it for $200 4 years ago, and never used it
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    Read this post and realized it's from 2008. I've had 8 and 10" steel pipe frozen. Not by me but by a specialty company. I have also had a company recently say they could not freeze 2-2 1/2 pipe with glycol mixture of -10*. Has anyone ever had glycol mixtures frozen?
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jnsrose View Post
    Read this post and realized it's from 2008. I've had 8 and 10" steel pipe frozen. Not by me but by a specialty company. I have also had a company recently say they could not freeze 2-2 1/2 pipe with glycol mixture of -10*. Has anyone ever had glycol mixtures frozen?
    Have you called Cryostop? That's who my company uses. We've had them do data center freezes with glycol, but don't think our mix was rated for -10*. Worth a shot at least.

Post Likes
    If this helps, Glycol/Water solutions freeze to solid over a wide range of temperatures, so they're given a freeze point and a burst point. A 35% propylene glycol solution has a freeze point of -1*F (point where ice crystals begin to form), and a burst point of -46*F (frozen solid and can burst the container holding it).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12