Thread: Outside smells in system

Post Likes

Outside smells in system

Hi,

Im by no means an expert but I am trying to obtain advice on why my hvac system for home pulls in outside odors.

I live about a mile and half from a very large cow feed company. It produces nasty odors. When my heat kicks on the smell immediately fills the house. My understanding about the ac system is, it just recirculates the air inside the house and doesnt draw air from outside.

Could I have a tear or in my ductwork? This is 7 month old house and I dont have the aluminum type duct work.(hopefully you know what I mean).

Thanks for the help.

Norris

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by norrisboat View Post
    Hi,

Im by no means an expert but I am trying to obtain advice on why my hvac system for home pulls in outside odors.

I live about a mile and half from a very large cow feed company. It produces nasty odors. When my heat kicks on the smell immediately fills the house. My understanding about the ac system is, it just recirculates the air inside the house and doesnt draw air from outside.

Could I have a tear or in my ductwork? This is 7 month old house and I dont have the aluminum type duct work.(hopefully you know what I mean).

Thanks for the help.

Norris
    If your house is only 7 months old it probably has a fresh air makeup duct run to the outside and tied into the return air of your furnace.

Post Likes
    might be a stupid question. here in Vegas no fresh air is required on res applications, only commercial. is that a code req there?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by IFRZAIR View Post
    might be a stupid question. here in Vegas no fresh air is required on res applications, only commercial. is that a code req there?
    hmmmm.... I live in Phoenix so I wonder how much our codes are alike.

Post Likes
    I will check

Post Likes
    The answer to your question is that yes, there is some sort of access on the return side of the system to outside air, apparently. Whether that's a code requirement or system failure or installation error should be discussed with the company that installed the system, since it's still in warranty (7-months old vs. 1-year mandatory warranty).
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    Do you by chance have a package unit? That may explain alot...
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Post Likes
    find out from builder who installing contractor is. as stated by previous member unit is still under 1st year labor, should be no charge. and code is same. fresh air not code reg. on res applications

Post Likes
    Thanks for the help. I will find out from the builder. I stopped by the models but unfortunately the construction manager went home for the weekend so Ill find out on monday.

Post Likes
    Strange how codes are different from different states as well as licensing. Here in MN it is code that you must have fresh air/combustion air from outside into mechanical room even on a furnace replacement in existing house that has no combustion air, even if customer upgrades to 90% needs to have for hot water heater. Also on new construction code is must install hrv/erv. Some companies uses erv I prefer hrv. But that is here not sure in phoinex.

Post Likes
    i'm from vegas. Combustion air is required in all furnace applications. Fresh air entering into R/A plenum not req. Only commercial req. fresh air. We are starting to see more erv style systems, mostly in com. apps. I fear that as soon as we start seeing more down here, the confusion will be at a all time high.... TOO MANY SALES TECHS. NOT ENOUGH REAL TECHS.

Post Likes

Smile

That is correct, also check ur home for major cracks or windows partiallyy open,: or JUST MOVE!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in