Quadra Fire Remote

I have a Quadra Fire gas stove with a smart-stat-II remote that will not work. The remote says E 5 and will not function at all. I have tried to reprogram the remote using the learn function and still nothing. Does anyone know what the E 5 on the remote means? Also would I be able to replace this remote system with a different brand? I am assuming they are all pretty much universal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Take the batteries out of the handheld part for a few minutes to reset it, and then try to re-learn it. I have never seen or heard of any error codes being displayed on that remote. Why would you want to replace it with different brand?

I have tried to relearn the remote numerous times but the remote stays on E5. I have tried unplugging the receiver, changing the remote batteries, etc. If I need to replace the remote and receiver I would rather switch to another brand because they are less expensive.

Sounds like the handheld is having some sort of a problem. If you leave the batteries out for a few minutes and it immediatly says "e5" when you put them back in I assume it is broken somehow. You can replace just the handheld part if the receiver is still good which I assume it is. You can't get the smart-stat handheld part but you can get the RCT-MLT haldheld and it will work, you just have some extra buttons that wont do anything.

That would be perfect. Do you know where I could find that remote?

I would suggest finding a dealer nearby who has someone around that knows how to hook up and use the remotes. We have customers bring theirs in all the time and I will hook them and figure out whats wrong, and even use showroom display units to verify the issue. From there we order only the part they need to get the best end price.

Otherwise if you want to just go ahead and order the RCT-MLT handheld and hope it works I can get you the part number from the office later this week. You could take it to any Heat & Glo or Quad dealer (it will have a Heat & Glo Logo on it, unless I find the Quad part #) and order it.

Let me ask this... the receiver end of the remote, it is a rectangular box, or is smaller almost square with a taper on one side? The larger one usually has two circles on it with slots like a speaker hole and a battery door (even though you cant use batteries in it). I assume you have the smaller one (older version).

One other thing, if you can find some other brand for relatively cheap that might be your most cost effective way. Any brand remote can be used as long as it is made for a millivolt system and doesn't use any special waring harness to install.