Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am from the Bronx NYC and no place has better bread or pizza then here

Quote Originally Posted by jpb2 View Post
    Have a italian family owned bakery that is open before mass on Sunday. I'd a never thought it either. lol. It's the most popular spot around for donuts , bread and pastries. Hope all is well in Howell

Cool!

Everything is great in Howell! LOL

71 North to 70 East. 70 east to Philly. Order a samich.

Quote Originally Posted by coolperfect View Post
    I am from the Bronx NYC and no place has better bread or pizza then here
    Two Boots Pizza in NYC, order a Tony Clifton...........awesome pizza

Talking

Pat's and Genos are the two most famous but not the best cheesesteaks around Philly. There are hundreds of local delis that make great steaks (yes, when you see a sign around Philly advertising steaks, they mean hoagies). Having traveled far and wide and found "Philly Cheesesteaks" everywhere now, I can assure you steaks from anywhere but Philly taste like hot hampster vomit.

The keys are:
    fresh Italian steak rolls
    chip steak sliced paper thin
    sweet Italian peppers and onions
    provolone cheese
    extre virgin olive oil
    and the secret weapon--- a griddle soaked with about 20 plus years of the right grease and juices from the ingredients. A new clean griddle will always lack character and taste like crap for a few years.

Even with good ingredients and a seasoned griddle, you have to know the technique in chopping the steak with the edge of the large spatula. That ringing sound is to us what the ring of the blacksmith's anvil was 200 yrs ago.

When you're in Philly, you also need to get a real soft pretzel, some TastyKakes and some Scrapple for breakfast.

If you want a proper cheesesteak, you must come to Philly--no other way. If you go to Pat's or Geno's, you'd better ask the locals how to order properly (wit or wit out). Also, make sure you can habla if you go to Geno's.

If you like lager, then get Yuengling. If you like a real drink, it's Guinness properly poured.

Hearthman, a Southerner in Yankeee land

Hello, As the guys from that region stated. A true Philly Cheessesteak is the meat and The cheese wiz. They use a soft Italian roll a local bakery made or a company called Amoroso. I live in Southern New Jersey near Atlantic City about 45 mins from Philly. We use a hard hoagie roll thaat is well known to. The true Philly steak is not chopped finely it's bigger pieces. But other places will chop in finer. Cheese is put on last minute after the onions and other stuff are made with it. Not all rolls are toasted either. If you want to make it. you ned a big flat skillet top. Go get your self a nice piece of stainless steel sheeting and put in on you BBQ. slap some Good steak on that thing. Rib eye or something you butcher can slice for you.and let her rip. Occasionally using some Olive oil. Use 2 flat spatulas One to hold steak one to chop steak or pull apart. Then when pulled apart or chopped use both spatulas to move the meat around flipping it over. My Grandmom lived 3 blocks awayfrom Genos And Pats in South Philly. Can't forget Tony Lukes either. A place near me Called Atlantic City Sub shop will ship Philly Cheesesteaks packed with dry Ice and Tastycakes to boot. Anywhere via UPS. Here Ya go. You know it's good stuff when you see how many celebrites go ther when in town.
    http://www.genosteaks.com/home1.html

Good luck,
    John

since moving to texas 3 things i miss from philly acctually 4.... pats, pizza on south street, philly pretzels and tastycake. i always liked pats better. i went to a place down here who said that they had authentic philly cheesesteaks. i ordered one with cheese wizz. they told me that that is not authentic and that they do not offer whiz. i told them 10ys at eating at pats in philly says different

Eventually you will not miss the TastyKakes.............LOL

It is fun telling people what a real Philly is isn't it? There should be a law, if you're gonna sell and advertise them, ya gotta learn how to make them...........in Philly. Make that a Federal Law! LOL

HeyBob, You are correct. Maybe I can sneak in and ingrave that on the liberty bell. LOL.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JKenney View Post
    HeyBob, You are correct. Maybe I can sneak in and ingrave that on the liberty bell. LOL.

John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12