Recommendations For Replacement Gas Pack

I bought my home 2 years ago. My home is 17 years old and my gas pack which does the heating and cooling finally crapped out on me. It is the original unit installed by the builder 17 years ago: Goodman 2.5 ton, 8 SEER, 100,000 BTU, R22. I have had multiple quotes and wanted some recommendations on a replacement unit. I have narrowed it down to the following two:

***** Carrier Performance Series Packaged Gas Heat/Electric Cool System Model: 48XP
    2.5 ton, 13 SEER, Puron, variable speed, 60,000 BTU (1 yr. labor, 10 yr. parts/compressor, 15 yr. heater exchange)

*****Carrier Comfort Series Packaged Gas Furnace and Air Conditioner Model: 48SD
    2.5 ton, 13 SEER, R22, single speed, 60,000 BTU (1 yr. labor, 5 yr. parts/compressor, 10 yr. heater exchange)

Basically when my Goodman unit was still in working condition I felt comfortable. After speaking to multiple contractors I am not so sure. I was told I needed variable speed, and I need to get a Puron unit, and also I need to have the ability to control humidity level (I live in N.C.) Just want to know should I pay for all these extras or just go with the lower end Comfort Series unit which is comparable to my Goodman? Do I need all the bells and whistles?

You don't NEED variable speed or Puron. If you want more humidity control than a standard A/C provides, then you should get variable speed with some kind of humidity controller such as Carrier's Infinity control which works with that motor to suck out a lot more humidity.

Not sure what your heat load would be. Your goodman has a 100,000btu input and both carriers listed are at 60,000 btu input. Variable is a good thing in every aspect, from performance to IAQ. If given the choice and cost is okay, then use variable. But i def would check into the btu issue

I agree with Bald, you don't need either of those things. If you are interested in better dehumidification and more even temps, then spring for the variable speed. If you were comfy with the last unit, then go the less expensive route.
    We only want to do it, if we can do it right.

Dual Fuel

Have you considered a Dual Fuel unit? Rheem makes a RQPW that is 14SEER and 8+ HSPF with a gas backup when the HP cant keep up. Other companies make one but I don't know the model #

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Variable speed and good controls will provide lower indoor humidity,which may allow you to raise the temperature set point 1 or 2 degrees.

You may have thought you were comfy without this feature,but customers who have it truly feel the difference and never knew they could be so comfy.

If you have ever turned the stat to a lower setpoint to get comfy,usually in mild weather,you will never have to again.

If the bedsheets get calmy in the middle of the night,it won't happen again.

VS and great controls,will reduce humidity,when older systems can't.

amen

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.

You don't need a VS blower.
    But you will get better comfort with it.

As far as the heat difference, its not unusual for the old system to be grossly over sized.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?