Thread: 2 Story Heating

2 Story Heating

I have a 2 story home with 2 heating units (1 for each floor).
    My living room is open to the 2nd floor.

When I heat the downstairs, the upstairs become significatnly warmer (i know hot air rises, duh)... but I'm assuming this uses a lot more energy to heat the downstairs. Also, it becomes to hot for those in bedrooms upstairs.

Example: downstairs thermostat is set to 71, upstairs is set to 68. The tempreture upstairs is always over 71 when downstairs reaches 71.

Is there a best practice for energy conservation in heating spaces like this?

What would you set each thermostat to?

-SaveFerris

Insulation.

Keep each level at the lowest temp. you are comfortable with. Close the bedroom doors during day. Use programmable stats and keep upstairs lower during day and downstairs lower at night.

If possible install one maybe two ceiling fans (depending on the size of the room) lowered 5-7 feet from the ceiling. I'm in the same boat as you, two story living room. I have two 60" fans that I run 24/7 to circulate the air. It does a pretty good job. I rarely have over a 1 degree difference from the upstairs thermostat and the downstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZRSC View Post
    Keep each level at the lowest temp. you are comfortable with. Close the bedroom doors during day. Use programmable stats and keep upstairs lower during day and downstairs lower at night.
    I'm with him, keeping the bedroom doors closed upstairs and putting in ceiling fans will help alot
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

Thanks ALL

The ceiling fans are usually the only option after the house is up and finished.
    Have a few HVAC companies come out and give your system a look to see if there is some way that they can get the lower system to pull some of it's return air from the upper area. This will accomplish the same thing as the ceiling fan(s) only better. It will be better because the warm air that it pulls back down from the warmer upstairs will be distributed to rooms in the lower level that the ceiling fans can't. If this is possible then look into running the lower level furnace fan on continuous circulation to "average" out the temperatures in the house.

Good Luck.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Quote Originally Posted by saveferris View Post
    Example: downstairs thermostat is set to 71, upstairs is set to 68. The tempreture upstairs is always over 71 when downstairs reaches 71.
    There's you problem right in you're own description. To say heat rises is really a misnomer. Air warmer than the air above it rises. If you kept the 2nd floor at 71 and 1st floor at 68, you'd have a whole lot less stratification going on. Better yet, run the same temps up and down. In virtually all systems, the first floor heat rises so that the first floor zone does more work than the second floor zone. That's why you can add a second floor to a home and heat it for less money than adding an equivalent square foot addition off the back or side of the home. When fossil fuels were a lot less money, I used to estimate the cost to heat an average size home (if that day) at about $100 per side to the weather, no matter 1, 2 or 3 story. It usually worked out quite close. So if the folks had a 4-sided, 2-story home, $400 for the year. 1-story 4-sided home, same thing. Add a 2nd floor to the 1-story, heating costs really didn't vary much. But put a an ell on the house, introducing 3 more sides to the weather, hah! $700 to heat the house. YIKES.

So yes, close the bedroom doors but I'd highly recommend setting the 2nd floor stat equal to or higher than the 1st floor stat.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!