+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need info on the manufacturer of an evaporator coil

Post Likes

Need info on the manufacturer of an evaporator coil

I found a leaking coil on a Rheem system (furnace & condenser). The nameplate was barely readable but clearly was not a Rheem coil. Can someone identify the manufacturer?

Coil model number BI5D60+X5 The second digit may have been an "I" or a "1", The B_5D were almost gone but I could make them out if I held the light at just the right angle. The 60+X5 were clearly visible.

The manufacturer was shown in Lindale Texas but the rest of the nameplate was gone.

Can anybody help with this one? It is installed in an attic so I would prefer to replace the coil and leave the housing/duct in place. That will save several hours of sweating my a$$ off in the attic.
    If "I have always done it this way" is a good reason to do it again, how many times do I have to do something wrong - before it becomes right?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cxagent View Post
    Can someone identify the manufacturer?

Coil model number BI5D60+X5 The second digit may have been an "I" or a "1", The B_5D were almost gone but I could make them out if I held the light at just the right angle. The 60+X5 were clearly visible.

The manufacturer was shown in Lindale Texas but the rest of the nameplate was gone.

Can anybody help with this one?
    You have probably figured this out by now, but that is an old Benchmark Manufacturing coil. They are out of business, and most of the company assets were purchased by Sustainable Coils, also in Lindale,Tx.

The B15D60 is 5 ton horizontal coil, for R22 10 seer systems. I’ve been told that many of these were installed on Rheem and Carrier system in the Houston, San Antonio, and Austin areas.

The "+X5" = 5 ton TXV installed.

I’m trying to dig up some more info on these, but have come up dry to this point.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    Thanks Rundawg! Yes that exactly what I had found and was coming back to post. I had not found that Sustainable Coils might be able to help me. I had resigned myself to starting early one morning and replacing the coil and rebuilding the duct to match the new coil.

I had been hoping to find a "drop in" replacement coil so I could be out of the attic in a couple of hours instead of 5 or 6. (If I didn't have to rebuild the duct to match the new coil I could be out of the attic before it was TOO hot.) I know - I'm slow. But it takes time when you are as old as me and a one man operation.
    If "I have always done it this way" is a good reason to do it again, how many times do I have to do something wrong - before it becomes right?

Post Likes
    Best bet is going to be to try to find a case coil that is close to the dimensions of the old one, chances are you wont be able to find the same one.

Good luck.

Tamar

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in