Thread: Hey Old Timers!! Williamson 5 in 1

Post Likes

Question Hey Old Timers!! Williamson 5 in 1

OK maybe not all old timers!

Williamson produced a 5 in 1 furnace.

I remember it, worked on them for years......Just don't remember what the 5 in 1 was.

What were the five things they put in the furnace for the 5 in 1???

Post Likes
    This is just a guess...

- Heating section (burners, heat exchanger, etc.)
    - Air filter (EAC perhaps?)
    - Humidifier?
    - Evap. coil
    - Some sort of ventilation (fresh air intake?)

Post Likes
    tech support: I guess it's official..........I'm an 'old timer' cause I sure remember these. Didn't see many but I was always intrigued by the 5 in1 concept.

Seems to me I remember the 5 in 1 consisting of heating section, evaporator coil, blower section, humidifier, and air cleaner. Also, if I remember, the one's that I dealt with were in a low-boy configuration. I don't believe there was any 'fresh air intake' as that had not become 'fashionable' at that time so wasn't a consideration.

all the best, Irish
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

Post Likes
    There were a few 5-in-1 in my home town, I am CMajurse have seem them.

My grandparents has one still to this today..

They have..

-Heating(Some were 2-stage}
    -Cooling
    -Humidifier
    -Dehumidifier
    -Electronic Air Cleaner.

Post Likes
    Gawd I guess I am an old timer also

As early in my career we installed a number of these 5-in 1, a number of which are still out in the field installed in the mid 70's. These were a great furnace, especially for their time.

These were furnace that were assembled in the basement, they didn't come in just one carton but many cartons

The 5 in 1 stands for the following

Heating
    Cooling
    Dehumidification
    Humidification
    Air Cleaning

Post Likes
    Does any one know if I can take out the electronic filter box and put in just a disposable air filter. My system has 3 layers of filters #1-screen,#2-electronic filter and #3 metal filter. I was told the system doesn't work so I thought I could take out all the metal ones and put in a paper filter.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeystxx View Post
    Does any one know if I can take out the electronic filter box and put in just a disposable air filter. My system has 3 layers of filters #1-screen,#2-electronic filter and #3 metal filter. I was told the system doesn't work so I thought I could take out all the metal ones and put in a paper filter.
    Yes, take the filter out and measure them as if they were in the in the blower area. See if you can get a Honeywell Filter the same size as that. YOu can find these Honeywell at Home Depot.

Post Likes

Filters

Thanks Mayguy
    Which metal filters can I replace with paper. #1 thin screen, #2 18in x 21in x
    6 1/2 and the 3rd is 18 x 21 x 1in. I did see the honeywell @ home depot and I thought I saw the larger one also.
    Thanks Randy

Post Likes
    All 3 metal set up comes out, and power removed and capped off in the control.

Post Likes
    We had one in our house as a kid. I worked on a few two and loved them (the original Williamson 5 in 1). I do recall a funny DC thermostat on at least one that looked like a regular T87 but it wasnt. It's been a while. If I recall the gas valve failed on one and I had to modify it to run on 24v ac and ended up having to change the stat with it.

I think it was just a standard Honeywell EAC and an Aprilaire bypass humidifier (inside unit with no pipe). Measure the two big cells together as they would be installed and that's the filter you want to put in there but remember it will be 4" wide I think.

Post Likes

Trivia

If my memory serves me correct, I think these units even came with a small bottle of green touch-up paint in case of any scratches occuring during the install. Am I correct or is my mind starting to go on me?....
    I came into this world with nothing, I still have most of it left....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in