Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: circuit tracers

circuit tracers

Wondering if anyone know of a good circuit tracer i coud use for refrigeration ,
    high voltage open and closed circuits. Hate getting stuck trying to locate unmarked or breakers that are not written in the english language. Any replies are thanked in advance.

I have one. Inavaluable. It's a tool you use the first time and say to yourself, "why have I not had this all along"

I use mine atleast once a month. I do grocery store work. And older stores are notorious for the breakers lacking the markings or changes were made with out marking.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

I have the Ampobe 2004 kit.

Is a great tracer can do High or low voltage live and dead circuits, find short and short to ground. tracer and do up to 1 mile. THE inductive clamp can be use to as trace most any metal Piping (tubing)

I've been able to easily find which box and then which breaker. I've pin pointed the right breaker 99.9 % of the time.

You can get all the info on Amaprobe's site. To use it you need to read over the manual, its not a plug n play (DYI's) tool.

Warning is not cheap but it is GREAT.It paid for itself quickly I'd buy it again. Grainger has them
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1WXH4
    Last edited by fcs; 01-10-2008 at 04:48 PM.
    If you help others then you are a Success

Dowadada what kind do u have? anything out there thats less exspensive and works great?????

I have the IDEAL Suretest 958. This thing is pretty nice. I've owned the Amp Probe one and it's great and so is the Green Lee.

You're going to pay in the $800-900 dollar range for a good one.

It can still be a pain sometimes to get the right breaker with any of them with the panel cover in-place.

"It can still be a pain sometimes to get the right bre'aker with any of them with the panel cover in-place''

I get the right breaker 9 out of 10 times if not more with the the Amaprobe2004. but that comes from practice with it learning the setting and dialing the thing in.

I did a ton of research before drooping that kind of money and found if you want a trace that works it will cost you.

I if I remember you can buy individual section of the kit to save some money.
    If you help others then you are a Success

holy $hit 900 bucks. That sure would be nice to have but I think ill just keep searching for breakers on the customers dime.

I use an Amprobe AT-1000, I've had it for years. I've not yet missed a circuit when using it and it's given me exceptional service!
    Here's a link to an online distributor:
    http://www.contractor-books.com/AM/AM-AT-1000.htm
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    I have one. Inavaluable. It's a tool you use the first time and say to yourself, "why have I not had this all along"

I use mine atleast once a month. I do grocery store work. And older stores are notorious for the breakers lacking the markings or changes were made with out marking.
    D4, I get to do a little bit of old supermarket work, and you're right about finding that breaker it can be a pita. Nothing like running around a store with about 20 -30 panels trying to find the brk'er you need. Boss finally said, " just ground the dam thing out", it'll find the brk'er for ya. I use a pair of electricians hi-voltage pliers, works fine for now. I know one of these days I'm going to run across a unit that is on a federal pacific panel and its going to be the one brk'er thats welded closed, then I'll go,"oh sh$t". This is one of the toys that I have on my list for this years tool money.
    Last edited by ndfrozen; 01-11-2008 at 08:43 PM.
    So you didn't ask, what you though was a stupid question. Now how, are you going to tell the boss about your stupid screw up?

Quote Originally Posted by ndfrozen View Post
    D4, I get to do a little bit of old supermarket work, and you're right about finding that breaker it can be a pita. Nothing like running around a store with about 20 -30 panels trying to find the brk'er you need. Boss finally said, " just ground the dam thing out", it'll find the brk'er for ya. I use a pair of electricians hi-voltage pliers, works fine for now. I know one of these days I'm going to run across a unit that is on a federal pacific panel and its going to be the one brk'er thats welded closed, then I'll go,"oh sh$t". This is one of the toys that I have on my list for this years tool money.
    Been there done that burned wiring in conduit had to replace 500 ft conduit 1 1/2 and all wire 6 #4 and ground. never again it works most of the time but the one time it did not was very costly. Just because you can does not mean you should.

Hey boss, see what I did today?

Quote Originally Posted by sodd81927 View Post
    Been there done that burned wiring in conduit had to replace 500 ft conduit 1 1/2 and all wire 6 #4 and ground. never again it works most of the time but the one time it did not was very costly. Just because you can does not mean you should.

Wow, what was that bill? 3-4 grand? Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its a pain when you can't find a breaker and you're on double time, customer standing there with that look on their face. I make it a point to let them know they are paying me 150/hr. to chase down breakers, because they aren't labled. Do you think they would learn anything from it. NO. later that week doing same thing on anther case. gota love this job.
    So you didn't ask, what you though was a stupid question. Now how, are you going to tell the boss about your stupid screw up?

http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelli...es/circuit.pps

I use this for practicing my tracing, make sure you have the sound on for the tutorial.
    You can't fix stupid

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by cmajerus View Post
    http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelli...es/circuit.pps

I use this for practicing my tracing, make sure you have the sound on for the tutorial.
    That was great!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast