Thread: Basement return

Basement return

Will the addition of a basement return help lower the relative humidity of the basement in the winter.

If you have a return and a supply in the basement and leave the fan in the on position it will help out. As long as you have good air flow.

I have 4 supplies and no return other than the basement staircase.

with a return in the basement and the fan running all the time its going to mix the air throughout the house more evenly. Therefore if the basement is the only spot your having humidity problems it will help out. It may not be perfect but it will be better. Its probably the most cost effective solution to your problem. If you want perfect be prepared to spend $$$.

It'll work fine if you add a return register. No need to run the fan on all the time, that just adds unjustifiable electrical costs with no added comfort. If it's too moist down there, find out why instead.

What is the RH in the basement as compared to the upstairs?
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

basement is 40-50 %rh rest house 30% rh What I am really wanting to do is add humidity to the rest of the house in the winter

Probably won't do much for you. Most basements the RH is higher than the rest of the home. Your most likely going to need a humidifier to see results.

Quote Originally Posted by ckr74 View Post
    Probably won't do much for you. Most basements the RH is higher than the rest of the home. Your most likely going to need a humidifier to see results.
    Disagree. Install a hydrometer and see what the humidity registers.....I bet it doesn't exceed 50% in any month of the year once you have return registers installed.

You didn't indicate whether your basement is finished or not. Moisture in the winter is not a common problem and 50% RH is not a problem either. In fact, most homes seeking comfort will run 40% - 45% RH in the winter and 50%-55% in the summer.

If your basement is finished, you can try controlling the humidity with the main system as others have suggested with supply and return air. Once you open the basement to the rest of the home, you'll find the moisture moves lickity-split to the rest of the house. Absent moisture barriers, it's nigh on to impossible to contain moisture. It flows very quickly to the drier air.

If you don't get satisfactory results with the supply/return issue, I'd highly recommend a whole house dehumidifier dedicated to just the basement. With that arrangement, you'll be able to control the humidity both summer and winter in your basement. I would think summer would be a huge problem if you're experiencing a problem in the winter. A whole house unit dedicated to just the basement would solve your problem unless you've got standing water.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, and Califormia
    Agree with the redistribution of humidity. Also agree that if it's nearly a problem in winter, it should be a large issue in the summer. Would strongly suggest radon testing before you decide to redistribute that along with your humidity.
    "Surprised ?! If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised."
    Clark Griswold