Thread: Freon recharge lasted less than 1 month

Post Likes

Freon recharge lasted less than 1 month

We have an 18 year old Carrier system (Weathermaker 9200). The A/C unit began freezing up a month ago and we had the Freon recharged on 5/29.

The system began freezing up again today. We are trying to decide whether to repair or replace.

We just bought the home in January and have a Home Warranty but it is obviously worthless. I was not impressed with the tech they sent out and I don't believe he even checked for a leak.

Is it worth paying to have this system repaired or should we just bite the bullet and replace it?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbiggs77 View Post
    We have an 18 year old Carrier system (Weathermaker 9200). The A/C unit began freezing up a month ago and we had the Freon recharged on 5/29.

The system began freezing up again today. We are trying to decide whether to repair or replace.

We just bought the home in January and have a Home Warranty but it is obviously worthless. I was not impressed with the tech they sent out and I don't believe he even checked for a leak.

Is it worth paying to have this system repaired or should we just bite the bullet and replace it?
    If you have a home warranty then you should still receive proper service. If it has leaked down this soon that indicates either a significant leak or the tech did not properly charge it. The former is more likely. Just a question, though, you didn't recently start using pleated filters did you? If you restrict the airflow this can cause it to freeze up.

If not, call them back until they either fix it or replace it.

Post Likes
    I am using an extra air filter that the previous owner left. It does appear to be pleated. Here is the filter:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_128939-87308...ductId=3200785

What should I be using?

Post Likes
    You'll be paying out your pocket for a new one. the home warr co will either replace the coil or a/h unit, most likely.

about 95% likely its the cooling (evaporator) coil
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Ok, I'll try the home warranty company again tomorrow. I've just heard so many bad stories, in general, about home warranties that I wasn't sure they would ever resolve the problem. My wife is 5 months pregnant. Having the A/C out for more than a day makes my life VERY unpleasant.

Can someone please tell me what kind of air filter I should be using?

Post Likes
    I am using an extra air filter that the previous owner left. It does appear to be pleated. Here is the filter:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_128939-87308...ductId=3200785

What should I be using?
    Did you use that before? We get usually about five calls a year and the issue is the owner started using pleated filters and that was the source of the problem. I recommend the fibrous filters though people are having a hard time finding them at the big box stores. The ones they can find are extremely thin and not very good. You can try some of the local AC supply houses to see if they sell over the counter.

But if that is what your have been using all the time then I wouldn't look at that as the culprit. Did the tech check the indoor coil to see if it was dirty?

Post Likes
    Hold their feet to the fire. You should not have to pay for a call back.
    INSIST they find the leak and repair it.
    They MUST warranty your system.
    They WILL try to squirm out of it.
    Don't let them.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    Pay up happy wife happy life.

Post Likes
    The home warranty "preferred" contractor is coming out tomorrow morning. I just pulled out the home warranty and it does appear that freon recharges should be covered (included below if anyone wants some dry reading).

When I spoke to them on the phone today, they said there were several different techniques they could use to try to find the leak (dye, injection of some sort and something else). Any suggestions on what will give us the best chance of getting this fixed?

HEATING, COOLING AND VENTILATION SYSTEMS
    (STANDARD COVERAGE FOR BUYER, OPTIONAL COVERAGE FOR SELLER)
    Note: Unless extra coverage is purchased, only one ol each ol the following systems or units is included per residential unit. All items in this section are subject to a S1500 aggregate maximum during the seller
    coverage penod.
    1. Primary Heating Unit and Cooling Unit
    Note: Any unit that performs both heating and cooling functions (including but not limited to heat pumps) counts as both systems for the purposes of this agreement and additional coverage must be purchased in order for supplemental or backup heating or cooling units to bo covered, even if their function is integrated with the primary unit.
    COVERED: Main heating (including a heat pump, boiler, or furnace unit) and cooling system (including a heat pump, central air conditioner, or water evaporative cooler unit) and associated parts and components including blower fan motors, burners, controls, fan blades, heattool thermostats, damper or zone control systems, heal exchangers, heating elements, igniior and pilot assemblies, internal system controls, wiring and relays, motors and switches, air handler, capactcrs. compressors, condenser fan motors, condenser coils, evaporator coils, fan blades, pumps, costs related to adding or recapturing refrigerant, refrigerant filter dryer, refrigerant piping,
    reversing valves. II none of the systems isted above exists in the property, coverage may (at the discretion of Home Warranty and with approval granted prior to coverage start) be extended to baseboard, wall, in-floor. a
    other alternative systems provided they are not exptctly excluded in this section.
    NOT COVERED: Portable or window units, solar heating systems, pellet or wood stoves, radiant cable
    heat, or fireplaces and associated components. Chimneys, Outside or underground piping. Circulation components or re-dnlling of wells for water source heat pumps. Baseboard casings. Fuel storage tanks. Expansion tanks. Filters. Timers. Heat lamps. Humidifiers or dehumidifiers. Condenser drain pump. Flues and vents. Improperty sized systems. Cleaning and maintenance. Free-standing or gas log systems, including gas supply lines. Dampers. Pressure regulators. Computerized energy management systems. Gas air conditioning systems. Electronic air cleaners. Water towers. Roof jacks and stands. Chillers. Any system with asbestos. Heat recovery units. Interconnecting refrigerant lines. Water pumps. Water cooling towers. Improper use of metering devices. Pre-coolers. Insulation. Concrete pads.
    2. Air Exchanger
    COVERED: AH parts and components except:
    NOT COVERED: Filters. Low voltage remote control systems.
    3. Ductwork
    COVERED: Accessible ductwork from covered unit to point of attachment on register/grill.
    NOT COVERED: Concrete encased or inaccessible ductwork.

Post Likes
    if the refrigerant leaked out a significant amount in that short of time, finding a leak should be child's play. recover the existing refrigerant and pump up the system with nitrogen and listen for the leak or use a bubble up solution on fittings and connections.

electronic leak detectors would be another way of course

Post Likes
    Am I the only one that the word Freon drives me nuts, it's refrigerant. Freon is a brand name from DuPont , I know off topic sorry, just a bad peeve

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lkapigian View Post
    Am I the only one that the word Freon drives me nuts, it's refrigerant. Freon is a brand name from DuPont , I know off topic sorry, just a bad peeve
    Maybe the PO's system was filled with DuPont Freon. My current bottle of R22 says "freon" on it

Post Likes
    Update: Both the tech and the owner came out today. They pressurized the system and found the leak in the inside evaporator. The leak is in a spot that would be very difficult to repair.

The owner called the home warranty company and got them to agree to pay to replace the evaporator or give us the same amount towards a new system. Since the old system is 18 years old, we are planning to use the money toward a new system.

After discussing our needs, the owner is recommending a Bryant 986T 80k BTU with a 3.5 ton A/C or heat pump. This is for a 3k sq ft 2-story home in Central Ohio. Does anyone have any experience with this model? Is it worth the premium over the 925T?

Post Likes
    You should be able to use that money with any company, don't lock yourself into the home warranty company, they so far have not had the best service and my experience with home warranty companies is cheap, bad work. I am sure there are exceptions but do you want to gamble on finding the exception with the issues you already had?
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Post Likes
    Update: Both the tech and the owner came out today. They pressurized the system and found the leak in the inside evaporator. The leak is in a spot that would be very difficult to repair.

The owner called the home warranty company and got them to agree to pay to replace the evaporator or give us the same amount towards a new system. Since the old system is 18 years old, we are planning to use the money toward a new system.

After discussing our needs, the owner is recommending a Bryant 986T 80k BTU with a 3.5 ton A/C or heat pump. This is for a 3k sq ft 2-story home in Central Ohio. Does anyone have any experience with this model? Is it worth the premium over the 925T?
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    You should be able to use that money with any company, don't lock yourself into the home warranty company, they so far have not had the best service and my experience with home warranty companies is cheap, bad work. I am sure there are exceptions but do you want to gamble on finding the exception with the issues you already had?
    IMO wise decision on the new system.

And I agree with Sky... shop this. At the least, you will learn a lot and be a wiser consumer when it comes to heating and AC.

Generally, the life of a system is around 15 years give or take... so you will put that knowledge to use again...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in