Thread: Any Techs here from the Las Vegas area???

Post Likes

Any Techs here from the Las Vegas area???

I'm a Tech from San Diego,CA and my wife and I were thinking of moving to the Las Vegas area, Wanted to talk with somebody who is in the field there that can help me out with some questions I have?

How strong is the field there? What companies to look at and what companies to stay away from? What's the average pay scale around there?
    Is there much of a slow season? Just an all around run down of the work enviroment there in general. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Post Likes
    I do not know how much they pay,but always looking for workers here.
    But remember do not gambling after work.
    Not can hit the jet pot

Post Likes

work in vegas

I have live here for 35yrs, this town is still growing. I think there are over 300 HVAC/R contractors in this valley. Depending on your experience (service/install) will determin how busy you can stay. Usually summer time, the only life you have is work. Spring and Fall its too nice outside so no one is calling. Depending on winters since all of us in Vegas hate the cold anything under 50 degrees is freezing to us, we stay pretty busy. If you know serv & instl you can stay pretty busy. Problem in Vegas, is there are alot of ma & pa shops driving the price down, which make it harder for the med & larger companies to compete. Service techs make about 12.00 to 38.00 hr, installers 10.00 to 30.00hr. As far as who is good/bad, you'll have e-mail me directly.

Feel free to contact me if anymore questions

Post Likes
    Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback. Helps out a lot. I'm a Service tech and am in the Union and on the commercial side. Been in the field around 5 yrs as well. Was thinking about applying at ACCO or Carrier, when we get the chance to head out that way. Just thought it would be nice to get my feelers out first and see what the reality is like on your side of the yard. I knew a guy out here who was a tech from LV and he had told me the pay was great, the Summer was tough at times to do deal with, but you work endless hours in the valley, during that time.

Post Likes
    Hey when your ready, have alot of contacts with the union. Let me know and we'll talk a little. Journeyman wage w/package is around 48.00hr

Post Likes
    How long you been in the field?

Post Likes
    grew up in trade with grandpa. full time after high school grad 88.

Post Likes
    That's kick arse bro...I totally admire that..btw, Are the commercial techs out in Vegas pretty down to earth guys for the most part and tight knitched?

Post Likes
    Depends, there are some really good techs, we do communicate very well. How ever this has been turning into the cut throat cap of the world. Problem is that we have alot of sales techs (parts changers) working on a commission basis. I guess its a good thing for the true techs in the valley, they keep us busy.... Union is okay. Problem is that it is based on the tinners with very little technical training. I know it's being worked on.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by IFRZAIR View Post
    Depends, there are some really good techs, we do communicate very well. How ever this has been turning into the cut throat cap of the world. Problem is that we have alot of sales techs (parts changers) working on a commission basis. I guess its a good thing for the true techs in the valley, they keep us busy.... Union is okay. Problem is that it is based on the tinners with very little technical training. I know it's being worked on.
    Sales Techs??? they only get paid on commission for their repairs they write up at an account??? They don't get paid a regular hourly wage???

Post Likes
    I butt heads with tinners. Don't really care for most of them. Don't like the sheet metal worker mentality. If you're on a site with them, they try to make people feel stupid if you don't know sheet metal that well or installs. Just a total different breed of people. Also a majority of them are bunch of scatterbrains...ahahaha.

Post Likes
    No they get paid flat rate, the more they sell, the more theymake. get more $$$ for condeming 5 to 10 yr old units.... Just sad. but the good thing now that 13 seer is the standard, we will soon be weeding the non techs. they will have to do more repairs......... Tinners here are not that bad, I guess the advantage I have is I do both, they respect you more when you can throw up metal, do take offs, and the big one.......read blue prints

Post Likes
    I can do a little of it also. I find banging tin very repetitive and boring in general. But, it's definitely a plus to a company to know both.

Post Likes
    Hey bro, do work for a commercial company now or do you just do your own thing? I'm looking at Henderson to maybe live, doing some research on it. I've been there before and really liked it. It was clean and had nice suburban area's. Plus it would be nicer to live closer to Mead. I could do my fishing

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in