Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Latest.......

Here is my latest call.
    Custom built expensive home (actually remodeled) 1.5 years ago. Heat and A/C have never worked since day one, I was told. 56 degrees in the house.

Equipment: Home automation system running the HVAC. Carrier Infinity furnace. Carrier split A/C. Hot water floor radiant heat in 8 zones. Durozone 2 zones for heat/ac on the Carrier furnace. Aprilaire 8 zones for the radiant floor heat with 2 of those zones combined for Carrier furnace hot air heating/ac.

Pictures as I got to the job. Note two wire coming up from furnace control panel with wire nuts..they are connected to W of TStat terminal. Just hanging in the air. I could go through all the details but that would take days.

That pipe with the blue painters tape hanging on the end, yep, that's the drain. No trap either.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

wtf?

Looks like someone got paid a little too soon.

unless that flue is really short, you probably need to cut it out

no need to worry about mounting or putting covers on
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Boy, that furnace is pasted to the wall on the left side- I hate it when that happens.

I see you can use blue masking tape to extend the drain, can that same trick also be used on the flue??

I just installed one of those Buderus wall boilers in Portland. It appears that the installers didn't use the manifold kit that Buderas supplies. That or it was modified. Wow!
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Please tell us this was a DIY install?

Or was it done by HA(Half A$$) HVAC INC
    If you help others then you are a Success

Quote Originally Posted by fcs View Post
    Please tell us this was a DIY install?

Or was it done by HA(Half A$$) HVAC INC
    Nope. This was done by an high-end local dealer. This is more or less the standard for my area -- keeping in mind the majority of systems I see have major problems with up to 10 years of failure history.

The owners manager told me I am the 3 or 4th company to look at this system since it was installed 1.5 years ago. The installing company walked. And the balance of the other companies only made things worse.

I'm involved as a referal from a hydronics company that I do a lot of trouble shooting for.

The manager was surprised when I set up the furnace correctly, by-passed the non-operating controls and started up the furnace manually. I was cold and needed heat. The house is all concrete and like a damp cave. The owner is single so he tolerates the cold and dampness during the winter and the lack of A/C during the summer.

So far this is the summary. Carrier furnace not set up correctly - was in trouble-shooting mode plus other setting were not right. Two zone system was not wired at all with the exception of a few terminals. The Aprilaire system is not responding to signals although the home automation system is managing all 8 zones correctly.

Even though the boiler is on as well as the pump - the one I can see - there doesn't seem to be hot water in the circuits. But that could be because the home/floors are so cold I can't tell yet.

I've got a full day tomorrow putting this thing back together. Many of the communication lines were run on top of the 2/4's and the sheet rock was placed on top.

So I always get a kick on this board when most of your guys tell a home owner to "get a pro." This is the work of a "pro" as most of my calls are. So how does the home owners know who is and is not "a pro?"
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.

Quote Originally Posted by millerman View Post
    I just installed one of those Buderus wall boilers in Portland. It appears that the installers didn't use the manifold kit that Buderas supplies. That or it was modified. Wow!
    That is the factory supplied primary loop. I don't see much wrong with the piping.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Quote Originally Posted by karsthuntr View Post
    That is the factory supplied primary loop. I don't see much wrong with the piping.
    The pictures I'm showing may or may not have problems showings. I'm showing as many as I can just so you can see the various systems involved with some of these designs. More pictures to come as I have more time, if you guys are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by karsthuntr View Post
    Maybe I'm just not seeing it right. That doesn't look like the factory instructions to me.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

I guess the drain doesn't really need to work, the system ain't draining anything if it ain't working. I wonder what he payed for that install, $$$, and then for it not to work at all. I would have their a$$es in court so fast.
    We only want to do it, if we can do it right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast