Thread: R-500 History

Question R-500 History

can someone give me a little history on R-500, seems I remember Carrier marketed it and all I have ever seen it in is carrier and yes I remember mistakenly putting R-22 in a 500 machine.Was this used in exported machines?
    Thanks again

Carrier used it in residential units in the 70's. Carrier and McQuay bith used it in their centrifugal chillers. I have two 19EF (1200 and 1400 ton) chillers that still have R-500 in them. If I remember, it was used to stretch the tonnage in place of R-12.
    "I'm from Texas, what country are you from?"

Rheem(Revco) used it in the high stage of their ultralow freezers for a while as well- I still have about 25 lbs left.

We have four 19EF machines that origionaly ran on 500. They have since been retrofitted to 134a. Currently in the process of replacing the seals on the high speed section of one of them. These machines take a truck load of gas to make 1400 tons. Thankfully some engineer designed a recovery vessel and pump down compressor built on the machine.

Carrene 7

R-500, also know as Carrene 7 is an azeothropic refrigerant that was originally developed by Carrier for use on equipment that was to be run on 50 cycle power. R-500 is a mixture of R-12 (73.8%) and R-152a (26.2%). This refrigerant is approximately 15% more capacity than R-12 while R-22 is apporximately 25% greater. Carrier used this refrigerant in some of their various roof top units and larger chillers. A piece of equipment design to to produce a specific tonnage while operating on 60 cycle power will produce less capacity when operating on 50 cycle because the compressors RPM has been reduced. R-500 is classified as a CFC refrigerant and when used on DX systems it can be replaced by such products as R-409A, R-401B and others. On large tonnage flooded type equipment R-400 series refrigerant are not recommended due to the refrigerant separation that can occur in the cooler.
    This "pooling" effect will cause variious temperature differences accross the cooler and head pressure fluxuation problems as the percentage of the higher pressure refrigerant will remain in the condenser as compared to the cooler.

R 500 was also used on 60Hz units. Had Carriers at Archbalds(sp) on K street that used it,"C.E.D.A.R." next door. A Chinese Restuarant in Manassas, National Capitol Parks and Planning Ga. Ave. had a Carrier RTU on the old section of the building that used R500. U.S. Justice Depatment on 11th Street, Pamona Airs used it and the Fed. Gov. had a stock pile of the stuff after it was outlawed! Lieberts used it, the only ones I can remember are the ones at Telegraph in Alex. Va. There were many other Lieberts, just can't recall were they were at. BTW, can't recall ever replacing an R500 compressor. I had many other units that used R500.

As I remember the reason Carrier bothered to develop R-500 was so they could benefit from contractors having to use refrigerant they could get a piece of all that was sold. Carrier could license refrigerant manufacturers to make it and make a little more than using DuPont's products.

There were law suits over this and I think that's why it was discontinued. Monopoly.

I always thought R-500 compressors should have been painted yellow so that so many wouldn't have been destroyed with R-22.

I think I still have some.
    Tracers work both ways.

The great thing about R500 was its very, very low reactivity with water. It did not form acids as well as other refrigerants, when refrigerant, oil, moisture and heat were added together. Also I would seriously doubt any patent protection, as the per 1978 "Benefit to Mankind" patent would have expired in 11 years, other patents would have only lasted 17 years. I believe R500 was invented long before it went into popular use. This is a link to the history of Refrigeration and Air Conditioning http://www.hermeticrush.com/HVAC-History.htm

R500

My dad who retired from the business, had stated that it was developed and patented by Carrier as " Carrene 7 ". When the patent expired, we had R-500 and it was phased out with R-12, because it was a mixure of R-12 and R-152

I still see smaller split systems that are r500.......usually on old government buildings....and usually running a mixture of r500 and r22 or pure r22 lol.

I know of one building where there are 10 year old junkitrol furnaces sitting under the original r500 evaporators....with r500 condensers on the roof.....

The government.....lol

Our tax dollars at work....