Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    I got a new 3-ton Goodman 14 SEER heat pump installed in June. I went with the 14 SEER because of the Copeland scroll compressor. I went with the ARUF 3 speed air handler, instead of the variable speed, for simplicity.

I added the optional TXV to the indoor coil and hard-start capacitor to the condenser.

1 thing to note: the 1" filter rack for the air handler is poorly designed. I have to literally tear out the old filter when I replace it and struggle to install a new one. Go with a separate media filter cabinet to avoid my aggravation.

Best to you.
    Gary...you are dead on! That is a great set up, despite what the bashers say about Goodman. I install them almost exclusively and have very little problems with them. Those filter racks on those air handlers are a pain! I usually end up going with my own rack under them just for the simple fact that you don't have to wrestle the filter!

...To the person that started this thread...Goodmans are very GOOD very RELIABLE units. Noise level is no better or worse than anything else out there. If they are set up properly and taken care of...they will do you very well!
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by kbreiwick View Post
    Good for you ... look at the history of reliability of Goodman (terrible). It's a poorly and cheaply designed product. We had a Goodman high efficiency furnace catch on fire when it was brand new.
    If that happened, it had nothing to do with the furnace.

What? Do you people really think it makes you sound important when you come up with such ridiculous claims?

SHOW ONE IODA OF PROOF OF WHAT YOU POSTED! NO, you cannot, because there is none.

The very worst gas furnace incident out there that did cause fires did not do so internally but rather because of small sparks leaving NOx rods, and that furnace manufacturer is no longer around.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    I got a new 3-ton Goodman 14 SEER heat pump installed in June. I went with the 14 SEER because of the Copeland scroll compressor. I went with the ARUF 3 speed air handler, instead of the variable speed, for simplicity.

I added the optional TXV to the indoor coil and hard-start capacitor to the condenser.

1 thing to note: the 1" filter rack for the air handler is poorly designed. I have to literally tear out the old filter when I replace it and struggle to install a new one. Go with a separate media filter cabinet to avoid my aggravation.

Best to you.
    That filter section is definitely a pain, but if worked with it can be made to cooperate. The darn thing always gets bent out of shape during handling just enough to snag the filter. Always straighten the frame up just before installation and bend any obstructions out of the track area and it will be fine.

For ones that are already installed, I find a 30" pry bar to be very useful in getting it in the proper shape.

Thank you for the kind words Robo and Mr Metal Bender.

I did have the air handler for about a month before the install so I realized that there was a problem before it was installed. I wound up placing two 2-inch wide metal banding straps accross the existing air filter tracks to provide a smooth surface for the filter to slide on. I used a dab of auto body putty to hold the straps in place. I use a 20x24x1 MERV 8 pleated filter as I did not want to use Goodman's washable filter. It fits but its tight along the thickness dimension. I could use another 1/8" (can't we all??) of clearance.

The filter rack is my only complaint. It's minor - everything else is working great.

Goodman has come out with a new 5-speed energy saving motor in a new model air handler (I forget the model#). This would have been perfect for me but it wasn't available when I bought my unit in May.

Take care.

Goodman is better than not having a unit. I have never bought one. But I have worked on many.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeB View Post
    Goodman is better than not having a unit. I have never bought one. But I have worked on many.
    I bet you've worked on alot of other brands too, but just forgot to mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeB View Post
    Yeah and if you have worked on Goodman then you have worked on just as many Trane, Carrier, Bryant, York.....etc..... give me a break man.
    I need a new signature.....

Well, there are more Goodman units out there then any other specific brand name, so there may actually be a proportionately more number of Goodman unit failures. As for percentage of failures, Goodman claims that they have the least amount of vendored parts failures then any other manufacturer and no other manufacturer has ever disputed that claim.

I have no problem with Goodman other then here in MN any body and there brother can walk in to the supplier and buy parts or equipment, with no training* service knowledge. Just start a heating co out of the back of your truck buy Goodman and make money today. I WILL NOT SUPPORT THIS.
    Aint Notin Sweeter, Then A Brand New Heater!!!!!!!!!!

One thing I like about my Goodman 3-ton 14 SEER system is the ARI performance numbers. 12 EER and 9 HSPF are excellent for operating costs. I also get a full 3-tons of cooling and 34,600 btu heating at 47F. Many system combinations skimp on btus for the sake of higher SEER numbers.

I also like the fact that Goodman's website has plenty of technical data for my heat pump under Product Specifications including expanded heating and cooling data. This info is not available to the average homeowner for the big name brands.

I got the Amana ASZ16 model (2 stage HP) installed a few months ago. It's quieter than the 5 year old Comfortmaker 10 SEER A/C unit it replaced, and quieter than the 1.5 ton Comfortmaker that handles my upstairs A/C.

The key is to find the sound ratings (decibel #s). They aren't normally in the glossy brochures, but rather in the technical specifications. Some of the pros here could probably tell you what the sound rating is for a certain unit.

As for the particular unit itself, I would guess that the 13 SEER Goodman would be more noisy than their 16 SEER HP, but that's only because the 13 SEER would be their "entry level" unit.

The decibel ratings would only be useful in comparing units. I *think* that 3 decibel increase would roughly double the amount of noise.

There might be other options to reduce noise on a unit (compressor covers, etc). You'd have to ask your contractor about that.

Quote Originally Posted by mwjhvac View Post
    I have no problem with Goodman other then here in MN any body and there brother can walk in to the supplier and buy parts or equipment, with no training* service knowledge. Just start a heating co out of the back of your truck buy Goodman and make money today. I WILL NOT SUPPORT THIS.
    I agree with you here, They can take a 3 month class a local college get there EPA cert. Then waltz into the local supplier start a account with them. They pay cash for units, The supplier isnt out there to regulate any so called installers. They are in the business to sell parts, parts, parts.

If they have the jazz to sell the system to the homeowner, and they have a super low ball price. Then I say if the homeowner doesnt question them or ask for some references of past jobs. Its in the eye of the beholder and the homeowner will be extremely pissed when their duct work has 3 inch gaps and duct tape all over the place. Not to mention sheet metal fittings bent around 2x4's or bent with a only a pair of seamers.

There gonna know that they got what they paid for. Which is a POS install

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by kbreiwick View Post
    Good for you ... look at the history of reliability of Goodman (terrible). It's a poorly and cheaply designed product. We had a Goodman high efficiency furnace catch on fire when it was brand new.
    Ouch!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast