Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

goodman good unit?>????

ok i got price for unit and install for goodman 13 seer , new handler, new other stuff , thermostat, seller is old school been i nbusiness in our town for over 30 years , good standing at bbb. costs around or near between the alpha letters 3 and 4 , . but , ive read goodmans are noisy?? i do not want a noisy heatpump in yard . anyone got one and speak on the noise or price ???

edited for not listing prices which is a little shortbus to me but oh well rules are rules

eric

Cant comment on the price, because you are not allowed to list it. Please remove it. Otherwise Goodman is a good unit, I have heard a few past comments that some think they are noisy, but I on the other hand find them to be along the same sound range as anything else.

panama city beach (aka lower alabama or LA) FL
    ok yes goodmans are noisy heatpumps and to be honest so are alot of others i'm not too familiar with carrier but i do know that tranes heil tempstar ruud and comfortmakers are noisey especially when they go into defrost theonly units i know of that you can hardly hear are the york affinity heatpumps all you hear is the fan and its hard to hear too wasn't sure the thing was running when i first started one up

Quote Originally Posted by dad211 View Post
    ok yes goodmans are noisy heatpumps and to be honest so are alot of others i'm not too familiar with carrier but i do know that tranes heil tempstar ruud and comfortmakers are noisey especially when they go into defrost theonly units i know of that you can hardly hear are the york affinity heatpumps all you hear is the fan and its hard to hear too wasn't sure the thing was running when i first started one up

I guess you haven't heard a trane 16i run, I think they are extremely quiet. As far as defrost goes, anytime you have a rush of refrigerant equalizing you will have an increase in noise for that time period.
    You can't fix stupid

i have installed a few goodman units and find them to be no more louder then any other 13 seer unit.

there are a couple of other brands that are quiter then the rest put they are more costly.

this is not a case or you get what you pay for. It is more a case of ac units and heat pumps were louder then ever for many years and todays units no matter the brand are far quiter then the ones of old. You have things running outside and yes they will make noise to some extent. This is the price we pay for comfort.

The loudest outside units, Goodman included, were the ones that used the Bristol "Quiet" recip compressors that had built in suction line mufflers. In the attempt to cut costs, manufacturers were using these compressors without hot gas discharge mufflers and it just did not fare out very well.

Any time I have a contractor need to open up one of these systems I have them install a hot gas line muffler into the system. Between the "Q" type compressor and the additional muffler these are now as quiet as well running scrolls.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

We'll install Goodman's here and there. Noisy units ... especially the 13 / 14 SEER units. You will get a cheap price. We've had some reliability issues with them. Get a parts and labor warranty (10 years) if you go that route. Otherwise stick with Trane / Carrier.

I have a GSH13018 with a Benchmark coil, piston metered, on an old Williamson lowboy oil furnace and my heat pump is not noisy. Then again, some of us know how to charge them
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by kbreiwick View Post
    We'll install Goodman's here and there. Noisy units ... especially the 13 / 14 SEER units. You will get a cheap price. We've had some reliability issues with them. Get a parts and labor warranty (10 years) if you go that route. Otherwise stick with Trane / Carrier.
    Oh yea, we never see any trane or carrier problems posted on here right? I have had zero issues with Goodman.

Good for you ... look at the history of reliability of Goodman (terrible). It's a poorly and cheaply designed product. We had a Goodman high efficiency furnace catch on fire when it was brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by kbreiwick View Post
    Good for you ... look at the history of reliability of Goodman (terrible). It's a poorly and cheaply designed product. We had a Goodman high efficiency furnace catch on fire when it was brand new.

wow guess it should have been installed correctly

brand bashing only makes the trade look bad not the brand
    it also shows a great deal of disrespect to those whom deeal with the brand and takes food out of thier families mouths

there is no better or worst brand just installers

Being here in Houston, this is the land of Goodman. Their market share is huge and I admit not my favorite unit but, they have improved their product over the years. Also not everyone can spend the money that it takes to get some of the other brands like Trane and Carrier. Not that they put anymore bells and whistles in their units either.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

I got a new 3-ton Goodman 14 SEER heat pump installed in June. I went with the 14 SEER because of the Copeland scroll compressor. I went with the ARUF 3 speed air handler, instead of the variable speed, for simplicity.

I added the optional TXV to the indoor coil and hard-start capacitor to the condenser.

1 thing to note: the 1" filter rack for the air handler is poorly designed. I have to literally tear out the old filter when I replace it and struggle to install a new one. Go with a separate media filter cabinet to avoid my aggravation.

Best to you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast