Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Helping Veterans

Hello all! I work with Veterans and sometimes pay for their training if they qualify. I have Vet that recently graduated from HVAC program through RETS in Circleville. The problem I am having is finding him a job because he has no experience. Any ideas from the pros??
    Thanks

Is Circleville near Square Town?

(Where the heck are you?)

Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Click here and complete your profile information.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Circleville is between Dayton and Columbus...My Vet lives in Hamilton Ohio though...thanks for the reply

Does this vet currently work for you? If not why are you paying for his training?

I myself am a veteran, and the va pays for most of the training. The va also has great employment finding agency for veterans.

I recommend you check out the va site: www.va.gov
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

Quote Originally Posted by weber View Post
    Does this vet currently work for you? If not why are you paying for his training?

I myself am a veteran, and the va pays for most of the training. The va also has great employment finding agency for veterans.

I recommend you check out the va site: www.va.gov

The times sure have changed, not only did the VA not help when I got out they would tell us..."you lost your war". If you were not WW1-WW2_ Korea you were hard pressed to have them help. I have never gotten a thing from the VA...oh except dumped on...

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Circleville, I know where that's at. Home of the Pumpkin Show. I'm originally from Chillicothe. I've been fortunate not to have to seek help from the VA since retiring from the air force. Hopefully I can go a long way before doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by vmc1161 View Post
    The times sure have changed, not only did the VA not help when I got out they would tell us..."you lost your war". If you were not WW1-WW2_ Korea you were hard pressed to have them help. I have never gotten a thing from the VA...oh except dumped on...

Hey, it's a little late, but thanks for your service.

I don't know what happened MT. I went through Union apprenticeship in the early 70's and the VA subsidised my costs. I can't remember how much. Old history

I sometimes don't know if its the VA or what ever administration happens to not want to spend the money. No one it seems wants to deal with the true cost of war or the true cost of oil.

A Marine I know ( Nam ) is having problems with his health. A doc asked him if he was ever exposed to Agent Orange. I can't believe it but he answered " Nah, I held my hand over my coffee cup"
    Tracers work both ways.

Sorry vmc but have to set a correction here

My grandpa on my mom's side was an artillery man during the Korean War. Last year his stomach was hurting him bad(he doesnt complain). It took the VA 4 months to get him in to get looked at.

It makes me sick, the VA, and American government, send people to go to war or protect their country and let them come back and not take care of them.

The way America takes care of its vets is a joke

We try to do a trip to the hocking hills each year May. Pass by Circleville. Ohio country is really cool. A little like WI.

Sorry to hear that. The VA has taken very good care of me and my family. It takes a while to get enrolled, but after that your in the system and set up its a cake walk.

When I first got out, I needed surgery. I had to wait to go through the process. It took over 6 months, since then I have been taken care of for everything.

As far as training goes, take a NATE test they will reimburse you 125 or 150 for passing. Just one example.

VMC1161, you should be able to take advantage of these benifits to. Call the local office or check the site out.
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

Ok, I need to elaborate a little on what I do as there seems to be confusion probably on my part...sorry about that. I do not work for the VA, I am what they call a Veterans Intensive Services Coordinator for the state of Ohio under the Department of Job and Family Services Local Operations. I know that is a bunch. My program receives a grant from the Department of Labor, at least we have for the past few years and hopefully the next few. The grant was designed to assist Veterans with barriers to employment ie: recently separated, loss of long term job due to downsizing, no vehicle, homeless and so on. The Vet in question had a job for several years and the company downsized and left him with one skill which was not an in demand skill. He expressed an interest in HVAC and was established a "dislocated" worker under the Workforce Investment Act and then approved to attend training in HVAC. So, in a partnership of my program and the WIA program we spent $10724 smackers to get this man trained. His biggest issues are 1. his age 60 and 2. No exp since he just graduated. I am looking into apprenticeship programs and joined this website to get assistance from those of you who are "in the Know". In a nutshell, I am an employment services representitive for our countrys Veterans, as a Vet myself I do whatever it takes, within reason, to employ the Veterans that served their country honorably. So, you can see after spending nearly $11k I want to get this Vet employed in the field that he has been trained in.
    Thats a lot of information and I apologize if it was long winded but I needed to explain what I do so it could help all of you trying to help me understand.
    thanks so much for your time...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast