Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I go up on the roof, and what do I see...

A BLOODY MESS, Oh My, Oh Me!

I just love it when the filter change contractor does his stuff! Some of our customers contract to a company to do their filter changes, we don't do much for them but fix 'em when they're broken. This one was kinda broken.

But wait, it gets better!

Someone took the CFM out of this unit, don't know who and don't know where it went. I put a new motor and run cap in and put the panels back on the thing. I wonder how long that new motor will last there?
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

Hey...at least it was a nice day to be on the roof

Could have been 35 and raining.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I'd be willing to bet that cfm is in one of the other units.

I imagine it is, some hack couldn't trouble himself to drive to the supply house 5 minutes away to get a replacement, I had to do that!
    At least it's working, on a wing and a prayer no less.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

that motor was worth 10 cents a pound at the scrapyard. that's why the took it, it was coffee money.

At least the filters were clean!

That unit looks like someone's been puting lots of money into an old turd.

Got to love them accounts eh?

The VAST majority of our customers seem to like to throw good money after bad. Of course, most of that is the building owner, customers lease space, won't do the right thing and replace that piece of dead more than once junk. I've got units out there that are older than I am that we have to keep operational since the owner refuses to replace the things even when they really do go belly up.
    Like I said earlier, another post maybe, I like job security but this is ridiculous!

Nice, I think it's like that everywhere. I have customers like that around here also. They would rather dump a few hundred into an old clunker every few months rather than swap it out. Now from a biz standpoint, that's good and I like making money. But, it gets to be a pita resuscitating the same unit time after time. Plus side is after a while, you get the whole thing outfitted with new guts, get a year off, and then right back to the routine.

That unit reminds me of one I had a few years back...condemned the furnace part of it, disabled gas valve and replaced orfices with plugs. Fast forward 5 years later and I'm working for another company and asked to look at it because it's cold in the back half of the store. Told them the furnace had been condemned long ago and the new owner of the store wondered why our competitor had been charging them for service to the furnace for the last 3 years...there are guys out there that give our business a bad name instead of just giving the facts.

wow

Why that unit is still new!.......It's only 20 years old!

So what if it only needs a roofer to do a hot tar and membrane coating to preserve the clunker!

so much for willcall...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast