+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Humidifer saving money on A/C?

Post Likes

Humidifer saving money on A/C?

I had someone ask me the other day - "I'm house hunting and the house had a dehumidifier running in the house. The current owner says they run it to save money - is this true?"

My answer was that I didn't expect it would save money. I brought up the possibility that 1) there is a good chance that the house has moisture problems (crawlspace) or 2) the A/C system isn't properly sized.

I can see where running a dehumidifier will reduce humidity and help the AC produce more sensible and less latent heat removal. But the dehumidifier will also add heat, which will need to be removed.

I can see where a reduction in humidity can make a warmer temperature feel more comfortable, but that would require using a higher set point on the thermostat to possibly consider it a savings.

Am I thinking correct on this? I don't like giving out bad information.

Post Likes
    They work great when its not real warm out, but the dew-point is high (like when its raining).

Yes, they will save some money by not running the HVAC system to dehumidify when the actual ambient sensible temp is tolerable.

Basically...
    It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.

~Albert Camus

Post Likes
    It depends on the efficiency of the AC system vs the humidifier, as the minimum requirements on humidifiers (at least the stand alone ones) is lower than central air. It also depends on the RH, and if they are venting the humidifier hot air into the home or outside.

Post Likes
    You are referring to a DEHUMIDIFIER rather than a HUMIDIFIER, right?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by davidadavis View Post
    It also depends on the RH, and if they are venting the humidifier hot air into the home or outside.
    I thought most (if not all) dehumidifiers sent the air from the condenser right back into the house.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    You are referring to a DEHUMIDIFIER rather than a HUMIDIFIER, right?
    I screwed the thead title up. Yes a dehumidifier.

Post Likes
    If the house was vacant and they were only running the dehumidifier instead of the ac to keep the rh down so no mold grows then yes it'll save the seller money.

Post Likes
    Anytime the outdoor dew point is high and there low/no cooling load, a dehumidifier is more practical to maintain low indoor %RH. The new high efficiency dehumidifiers like the Ultra-Aire remove 4-8 pints of moisture per KWH of electricity. A/c or residential dehus remove 2-3 pints per kwh.
    During rainy cool weather, a/c are unable to remove moisture without dramatic over cooling.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in