Auxiliary Heat on 80-90% of the time!?!? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm just a homeowner like you (don't work in the trade), but I would shut off the aux power supply (they have their own 15-20 Amp breaker in the electric panel) and see if the heat pump does the job on its own. Then you'll know if there's a major sizing or setup problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kmcconnell View Post
    Background
    Is there a way to keep the aux heat from coming on in the 4 degree increase?
    Many, many thanks for any help!!!

I had a Carrier Infinity installed just recently and I too found the auxilliary heat was coming on all the time. I read this forum yesterday and saw about locking out the auxilary heat, but the manuals I had been given did not show how to do this. I spent some time on the internet and found an installation manual that showed how to do this - see http://www.favret.com/pdf_files/ther...on_Startup.pdf

(The key to the special features on the Infinity Thermostat is to hold down the "advanced" button for at least 10 seconds.)

My system had been set up so that the auxilary heat kicked in whenever the outside temp was 39F or less. I dropped that to 30F and that dealt with the problem for me.

I have a Carrier Infinity 19 Series Two-Stage Heat Pump, 25HNA9, 5 ton for a 3,600 house. For me the issue was not one of capacity of the heat pump, but just how long I wanted to wait for a change in indoor temperature - if you want quick heat then let the auxillary kick in to speed things along. In my case I'm happy for things to take their time so it suits me to leave the auxillary off until the HP really needs the help. The Carrier Infinity thermostat also has a manual emergency heat setting so if I want I can also bring on the auxillary myself to give a boost.

Strictly thoughts from a newbie but I hope this helps.

Jason

Thanks Jason for the link. I looked at the settings last night and everything was set to the default. I changed the lockout to 30 to see what that would do. I'm wondering if there is anything else that should be changed since it appears nothing touched.

Hetrola -
    Seems like if it was from the manufacturer I would have had to fill out some paperwork. I don't remember filling out any additional paperwork about warranties.

There is one guy there that I sort of trust, but I would still want to be there watching him while he checked the unit out.

hvaclogic - Is locking out the aux heat above 30 a good pratice? This is our only heat source currently. I'm thinking of getting a vent free fireplace to supplement the heat when we need it. If I did do that would I be able to use the programmable therm. the way I have it set?
    Beware of vent free fireplace, you stated you sealed better than most. Where will your combustion air come from? Where will the carbon monoxide go? Think about it!

Hetrola -
    Seems like if it was from the manufacturer I would have had to fill out some paperwork. I don't remember filling out any additional paperwork about warranties.

There is one guy there that I sort of trust, but I would still want to be there watching him while he checked the unit out.

hvaclogic - Is locking out the aux heat above 30 a good pratice? This is our only heat source currently. I'm thinking of getting a vent free fireplace to supplement the heat when we need it. If I did do that would I be able to use the programmable therm. the way I have it set?
    Beware of vent free fireplace, you stated you sealed better than most. Where will your combustion air come from? Where will the carbon monoxide go? Think about it!

Quote Originally Posted by woody_pennsy View Post
    I'm just a homeowner like you (don't work in the trade), but I would shut off the aux power supply (they have their own 15-20 Amp breaker in the electric panel) and see if the heat pump does the job on its own. Then you'll know if there's a major sizing or setup problem.
    On the Infinity Control Advanced screen page 6 you can turn off the auxilary heat. Can try that to see how cold it can get and have the HP keep up by itself.

Out of curiousity, what version is your Infinity Control software? It's the last two digits on the bottom of Install/Service screen (Advanced button for 10 seconds).

Quote Originally Posted by JasonAustin View Post
    I had a Carrier Infinity installed just recently and I too found the auxilliary heat was coming on all the time. I read this forum yesterday and saw about locking out the auxilary heat, but the manuals I had been given did not show how to do this. I spent some time on the internet and found an installation manual that showed how to do this - see http://www.favret.com/pdf_files/ther...on_Startup.pdf

Jason
    Jason, I read that some thermostats also have an "energy efficient recovery" built in. This locks out the aux heat so that when the programming causes a jump in set point from 60 to 70 for example, it doesn't use aux heat. Usually they use aux heat anytime there is a 2 degree difference between set point and house temp, regardless of outside temperature. Might want to look for that in your Infinity. Or, raise that delta that it uses to activate Aux if that is adjustable too.

Thanks Jason for the link. I looked at the settings last night and everything was set to the default. I changed the lockout to 30 to see what that would do. I'm wondering if there is anything else that should be changed since it appears nothing touched.
    KM - sorry, I'm not sure what your question is.

Jason

Woody, we may be talking about the same thing. On the Infinity thermostat, the manual says:

Electric Heat Lockout
    * NONE (default)
    * +5 to 55 deg. F
    Outside temperature above which the electric heater will not operate.

I've found that since I dropped my setting from +4C to -1C (I'm in Canada) the auxillary heat does not come on any more.

Jason

8 tons? WTF You didn't really mention wether or not you have an "INFINITY STAT" or a programable carrier stat. If you have the infinity stat, then yes indeed you can lockout aux heat. I suspect your system may be overcharged and cutting out on code 71 or 72, which the infinity stat will tell you as well. When this happens it will jump to aux heat automatically. Of course it could be a bad start relay or many other things, get another contractor licenced with carrier to check it out. There where a couple bad boards on a few models that needed to be replaced as well. Any compitent carrier dealer will know about this. This is a warranty issue. There is no way that you should be running on aux heat that much.
    8 tons? WTF 3000 sft? I live way way way north of you and that does not compute unless you have single pane windows and litterally no insulation.

belcherwm -
    I'll check tonight to see what the version is. I don't have internet access from the house (I live in the sticks).

woody_penny -
    The manual had something about "smart recovery" where it will start 1.5 hours early to raise the temp to where you have it set.

JasonAustin -
    I guess I was just wondering if there is any other common settings that should be set with the Infinity system since all mine was left at the defaults.

jibroni69 -
    I do have the Infinity stat. The thermostat has not popped up any error messages or codes since it was turned on (I guess I'm assuming it will tell me if something was wrong??) If I remember correctly the eight tons is 1 or 1.5 tons over the what the load calc suggested. I think they just wanted to "be sure" I was covered.

Another question: I set the aux heat lock out @ 35F. That seemed to keep the aux heat from coming on , but this morning when I went by the aux heat was on. Outside temp was 48F and there was a light rain. Could it have been in defrost mode to cause the aux heat to come on?

belcherwm -
    I'll check tonight to see what the version is. I don't have internet access from the house (I live in the sticks).

woody_penny -
    The manual had something about "smart recovery" where it will start 1.5 hours early to raise the temp to where you have it set.

JasonAustin -
    I guess I was just wondering if there is any other common settings that should be set with the Infinity system since all mine was left at the defaults.

jibroni69 -
    I do have the Infinity stat. The thermostat has not popped up any error messages or codes since it was turned on (I guess I'm assuming it will tell me if something was wrong??) If I remember correctly the eight tons is 1 or 1.5 tons over the what the load calc suggested. I think they just wanted to "be sure" I was covered.

Another question: I set the aux heat lock out @ 35F. That seemed to keep the aux heat from coming on , but this morning when I went by the aux heat was on. Outside temp was 48F and there was a light rain. Could it have been in defrost mode to cause the aux heat to come on?
    yes that is a possibility!

It's a shame to have such a nice system and these problems. The fact that you're not getting fault codes is a good sign. I think school's still out on this set back thing. Ask folks about set back and you'll get 90 different opinions.

I have the Infinity and not using a set back works great for me. Set it at your comfort level and leave it. All the money you think you're saving is eat up by the thing trying to recover. I leave mine with all the defaults set. I don't think I'm smarter than the Carrier Engineers. Although, the strip lockout setting may be worth it.

You have 2 units, so you have the benefit to try things on one unit and compare it with the other (like setbacks on one and no set backs on the other).

I trust you'll figure it out and reap the benefits of the Infinity......

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast